Hello, I just thought I’d open a thread for those booked on the Kilimanjaro (Lemosho route) which departs the UK on the 16th Sep.
Is anyone else booked to fly KLM via Amsterdam (with a night at the Kia Lodge) or is everyone else booked on the Air Kenya flight out of Heathrow?
Change of plan! Due to a change in the availability of flights, I’m now travelling with the main group on the Air Kenya flight.
Having booked in January, the realisation that the trip is fast approaching has caught up with me, helped by the invoice from Exodus requesting for payment of the final instalment!!
Having read the questions and reviews submitted by others either booked on the various trips to Kilimanjaro and the responses from those preparing to go or from those whom have been on previous trips, everything is beginning to fall into place with regards to visas, spending money, tipping, miscellaneous items of equipment, training etc.
One point I would appreciate some advice on, is with regards to the last day, I seem to remember reading at the time of booking that there is an option to do a half day safari trip, is this something that those who have been on this trip before would recommend?
It would be good to hear from others who are also booked on this trip.
There is a lot of us 'Kili Trekers' on this site trying to contact others in they group. I've be in touch with most of you traveling to Kili in Aug, Sep and Oct. As there are a couple of us going to North wales to climb Snowdon on Sat 14 Aug, arriving the friday night and camping out. Sunday will look at Tryfan another lovely walk/climb. Therefore I would love to get as many Kili Trekers together to do some walking and talking. If you are insterested e-mail me on firstname.lastname@example.org I think it would be great to get everyone together and discuss 'Kili'
Hear from you Jim
Good to hear from at least one of our fellow trekkers for the trip on the 16th. My wife and I are are busy making those last minute checks, getting vaccinated and sorting visas but are very much looking forward to the challenge!
We are on the Air Kenya flight out of Heathrow. Like you, we are looking to do the safari but are trying to get more details, booking, costs, logistics etc.
We are also getting in some decent walking to get us prepared. Sadly this does not include any real altitude so we will have to see how this goes when we get going.
Trevor & Sarah
Hi Jim / Trevor & Sarah
Good to hear from others climbing Kili. Unfortunately I won’t be able to make the climb up Snowdon but hopefully everything will go well for those that you’re able to round up.
Kit wise I think I’m almost there, depending on which list from the internet I decide to follow, no doubt that when it comes to packing I’ll have to reduce the amount of kit I’ve managed to accumulate. Vaccinations are planned for next week and I’m planning on getting my visa on arrival at Kilimanjaro Airport.
Most of my training to date has been based around normal fitness training and running along with some 10-12 mile walks at the weekend, mainly around Surrey.
With just 6 weeks to go until the start, the reality and excitement of the trip is beginning to build.
Good to hear its not just us getting everything organised. We have all our kit laid out and, like you, will have to ditch some of it to get it all packed. We are in the middle of the vaccinations so the excitement is starting to build. We decided to apply for our visas from the UK based Embassy and are just waiting for them to arrive. We were not sure how to go with this as all the blogs etc seem to show that getting them in kili is straight forward.
As for our training, like you we have been doing the general training as well as 12 mile walks across the south downs (we live near Eastbourne).
Anyhow, keep up the training and good luck with the packing.
Trevor & Sarah
Hi Steve, Sarah and Trevor
Just seen this post - My dad (David) and I are booked onto the Lemosho trip leaving UK on 16th September on the Air Kenya flight from Heathrow-can't quite believe it is just over 3 weeks away!
We have been out walking most weekends in the Surrey hills (about 10 miles or so) and Dad had just come back from 2 weeks walking in Austria so is at a slight altitude advantage but think this will wear off by the time we go to Kili.
Our kit bags have arrived so we have been gradually getting things looked out in between me moving flats so I have items all around london at the moment! We've had our vaccinations too and are just sorting our prescriptions for malarone, diamox etc and checking and double checking kit lists - everytime I look at a different list on the internet I find something else to take. We are intending on getting our visas on arrival - seems to be mixed views on this-any advice? I know when I went to Kenya I had no problem getting the visa on arrival.
Looking forward to meeting you and walking with you.
Nice to hear from you. You and your dad seem to be getting well prepared for the trip. sarah and I got our visas already through the embassy. It was straight forward and we decided that as we had time we would get them out of the way. That said, getting them when you arrive appears to be straight forward enough.
We are still preparing by walking the South Downs (we live near Eastbourne) so we are hopeful that we will be prepared for the challenge! I am with you on the kit issue. I have just packed the exodus bag and may have to rethink (perhaps take out the kitchen sink!). as a priority we want fresh underear, socks and shirts each day but we will see how we get on. Just glad I dont have to carry that up the mountain as well.
Keep up the prep and the packing and look forward to meeting you both in three weeks time!
Good to hear from you, I guess everyone is trying to squeeze in the last few weeks of training and work out how to get all of their kit into the Exodus kit bag!
I’m planning on having a trial pack over the bank holiday weekend, which will no doubt result in the generation of a new extended kit list for those items that I’ve managed to overlook.
One solution to the size of the kit bag, which I noted on another post, is to take a larger 90-100litre kit bag, with the Exodus kit bag inside, on arrival in Arusha, pack the Exodus holdall and leave the larger kit bag at the hotel, with any clean kit that you wish to leave behind for collection on your return from Kilimanjaro.
Does anyone have any thoughts with regards to the amount of US Dollars to take?
Yes we have one more training walk planned-went for a very steep but relatively short (5 mile) walk in the Pentlands yesterday. Unfortunately I developed a bad cold at the end of last week which didn't help with walking yesterday but hopefully it means it is out my system by the end of this week!
We haven't had a chance for a trial pack-think that will be this weekends task, although I can pretty much fit myself in the bag so don't think will struggle too much with getting kit in. Thanks for the tip on taking a bigger bag with exodus one in so can leave at hotel.
My colleague has just come back from Kilimanjaro (lemosho route) and safari afterwards - she didn't go with Exodus but same route as us and all her group made it with only one needing diamox. They all suffered some form of altitude sickness whether it be headache, nausea or actual sickness but none had upset stomachs and she said that the food and camp conditions were great. They had no rain and her guide said the same should be true for out trip so fingers crossed. She did get very burnt especially on her hands and lips despite applying high factor suncream every half an hour. Apparently the dust is the main issue so recommended a thin snood so don't breathe too much in and a nailbrush! I asked her about money -she took £250 in dollars for her and her husband but she did go on safari as well and had to pay for drinks etc. My other friend who has climbed Kili suggested about £100 in dollars (so about $150) each per person should be enough (certainly for tipping and drinks at the hotel when get back but depends on if you are going on safari afterwards or want to buy bits from the market etc then may need more).
Good to hear from everyone - two friends (James and Thorsten) and I will be flying out on the Air Kenya flight from Heathrow on the 16th. Very excited now it's only a week away.
Been busy training for a few months, mostly running and swimming. Have done a few walks in the hills as well, although hill walking is not so convenient as we live in Central London.
I intend on taking about $400 as we want to do the safari and we are staying an extra day at the end - any ideas how much of this we'll actually spend in dollars and how much would need to be converted into shillings?
Just getting visas on arrival - hopefully should be no trouble.
Look forward to meeting you all next week and joining you on the summit in 16 days!
Lorna hopefully your feeling better this week, it was encouraging to hear that your colleague’s group all made it to the summit via the Lemosho route.
Good to hear from you Kiran, I’m not sure either about how much we need to convert from dollars into shillings but I’m sure we’ll be able to sort something out at Kilimanjaro airport, like yourselves I’ll also be getting my visa on arrival.
Following a training session today and short walk planned for tomorrow over Leith Hill or Box Hill, my training for the trip is complete, whether I’ve done enough only time will tell.
All that remains now, is the re-checking of the kit-list, final packing and the purchase of sweets, snacks and batteries, along with a session reading the instruction manual of my camera, which seems to have far more options than I’ll ever need.
If anyone wants to meet up in the departure lounge of Terminal 4, please let me know, if not I guess we’ll finally meet up when we join the Exodus rep at Kilimanjaro Airport next Friday morning.
Privacy & Cookies | Customer Charter | Site map | Contact us
©2013 Exodus Travels Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
All holidays and flights are subject to availability - conditions apply. Please see our booking conditions for details.