Anyone else looking forward to going to Vietnam in September? Not quite counting the days yet, but when work gets a bit much I do consider counting the weeks.....!
Hi Gill, yes my wife and I are going Sep 10 - AOV, is this the same trip as yours?
12 weeks to go, if my maths are right!!! anyone else out there booked and impatient?
blimey.... better get a wriggle on, not done anything about visas yet, nor looked at what jabs are needed. how organised are you!
Hi Were also doing this tripl, Anna & Steve from Coventry. Were also doing the Angkor Wat Extension. Glad I came online to have a look as I've got to sort out our visa's, not sure if I need to do one for Cambodia in advance or whether we can do it when we leave Vietnam. Will make some phone calls tomorrow.
Hi Anna and Steve. Wish we were doing the extension but my wife cannot get the extra time off work. Dead jealous.
Re malaria tabs, we buy direct from the Dr's or Boots, have not tried Morrisons. Normally go for the "one per week" tablets whatever they are.
I am not convinced we need malaria tablets.....
yes, looking at the map. we are nearer the coast, so a bit away from the main malarial area. Tried looking on other sites and they aren't particularly helpful. I wonder whether the mosquitos know the parts of Vietnam that are 'out of bounds'......
very confusing and might just err on the side of caution and get malarone anyway. Unless I can find proof not to need!
Were not taking any risks and definately getting some Malarone ..
Have spoken to our practice nurse and she confirms we do not need malaria tablets. Our jabs are up to date so we are all done :)
Hi Gill, I used this one.
I emailed them about fees, this is the reply
Travelers, including British citizens and other nationalities, to Vietnam are required to apply for entry visas, up to maximum 6 months before embarking on the trips.
The date of entry should be precise as you are allowed to enter the country on or after that date, not before.
Regarding visas on arrival and on-line visa application, please be advised that there have been so many cases in which airport authorities do not allow travelers to board the planes or enter the country as they do not possess legitimate visas which must be stamped onto their passports by the Embassy. The pre-approved letters are not sufficient documents. These cases are beyond the authority of the Embassy.
For applications posted from the Republic of Ireland, the normal turnaround time is 3 weeks.
For applications by FAX, please make sure that the application forms be submitted before 1 p.m. of each working day.
PLEASE CHECK YOUR VISAS UPON RECEIPT. We do not take responsibility for any technical errors by any sides which may emerge before or during your trip.
FAILING TO FOLLOW THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS PROBLEMS DURING AND AFTER THE PROCESSING OF YOUR APPLICATION.
You can either apply in person at the Embassy of Vietnam or send your application by post.
You need to submit:
- Your original passport (copies are not accepted),
- One completed visa form F downloadable from http://www.vietnamembassy.org.uk/visaformf.pdf , with one recent photo affixed,
- Visa fee and postage/packaging fee must be in CASH if you apply in person at the Embassy or if you send by Royal Mail plastic envelope; postal order, cheque (write your name, telephone and passport number on the back of the cheque), or bank draft payable to the Embassy of Vietnam, all in British pounds only.
A third party can submit relevant documents on your behalf.
The Embassy will request further supporting document(s) if it deems it necessary.
Visa fees and return charges:
* Up to 30 day, single entry
- A standard up to 30-day, tourist, single entry visa fee costs £44 and £50 for business purposes. The return charges is £8/passport for return by Royal Mail Special Delivery. Return charges for two or three application together is £6 per passport, for four to seven is £5 per passport. For eight applications up being made together, the charge is £4 per passport.
- A 30-day, single entry visa in the fast-track service costs £59 for tourist purposes and £65 for business purposes if applied and collected in person at the Embassy and will be added £8 accordingly if returnt by post, inclusive of Royal Mail Special Delivery. You can send your application by fax two working days in advance and have your visa stamped upon submitting your original passport and visa fee payment at the Embassy, in person. (Please note that this fax option is allowed only in the fast-track processing).
* Up to 30 day, multiple entry
- An up to 30-day, tourist, multiple-entry visa fee cost £75 and £85 for business purposes in the standard processing. The visa fee for fast-track processing is £95/passport for tourist purposes and £100/passport for business purposes. You can send your application by fax two working days in advance and have your visa stamped upon submitting your original passport and visa fee payment (Please note that this fax option is allowed only in the fast-track service. No confirmation of fax receipt is needed).
The return charges is £8 for return by Royal Mail Special Delivery. Return charges for two or three application together is £6 per passport. For four to seven is £5 per person, if only posted back in one package. For eight applications up being made together, the charge is £4 per passport, if only posted back in one package.
* Up to 90 day, single entry
- A 90-day, tourist, single-entry visa fee cost £75 and £80 for business purposes in the standard processing. The visa fee for fast-tracking processing is £95 for tourist and business purposes in the fast-track processing. You can send your application by fax two working days in advance and have your visa stamped upon submitting your original passport and visa fee payment (Please note that this fax option is allowed only in the fast-track service).
The postage administration charge is £8 for Special Delivery. Return charges for two or three application together is £6 per passport; four to seven applications in one package is £5 per passport. For eight applications up being made together, the charge is £4 per passport.
* Up to 90 day, multiple entry
- A 90-day, tourist, multiple-entry visa fee cost £95 and £110 for business purposes in the normal processing. The visa fee for fast-track processing £115 for tourist purposes and £130 for business purposes. You can send your application by fax two working days in advance and have your visa stamped upon submitting your original passport and visa fee payment (Please note that this fax option is allowed only in the fast-track service).
The postage administration charge is £8 for return by Royal Mail Special Delivery. Postage charge for two or three application together is £6 per passport, for four to seven is £5 per passport, if only posted back in one package. For eight applications up being made together, the charge is £4 per passport, if only posted back in one package.
Fees and charges, must be made in GBP pound sterling, are per individual and applicable to both UK and Ireland and to all applicants who possess valid and separate passports. All payments for fees and charges can be combined into one single form (in cash, postal order or bank draft). Pre-paid envelopes are not accepted.
Please note if your children are also on your passports, they will be exempted. Otherwise, they will need separate visas and will be charged as such. You do not need, however, to file separate application forms for them.
It takes five working days (in the normal processing) and two working days (in the fast-track processing) to process your visa for both applications made in person or by post. Application by post must be accompanied with a self-addressed envelope.
In case of application by post, please note that visa processing time will start from the date the Embassy receives your application, not from the date it is despatched by post. You must take into account posting time which may take up to two more working days. Please ensure that you are present at your address at delivery time of your passport as most delays are caused by applicants’ absence. Please do not assume that Special Delivery Next Day Guarantee is always the case.
Please note that visa dates are fixed, not movable. Your visa will be valid from the date of entry shown on your application, you will be allowed to enter and leave Vietnam within the range of dates (entry and exit dates). (You cannot enter Vietnam before the entry date and leave after the exit date). Therefore you have to be precise about the entry date.
Visas once granted are not amendable or refundable.
The Embassy will not confirm progress of your applications, nor will it deal with requests other than those submitted at the time of application.
The Consular Section opens between 9.30am and 12.30pm, Mon-Fri, except public holidays. Appointment is not required.
Address: Embassy of Vietnam
12-14 Victoria Road,
London W8 5RD
Tel: 020 7937 1912
Fax: 0207 565 3853
yes - thats what my sums came to. Then there's about £60 for the optional trips (for 2, not each) and potential souvenirs - not quite sure what these would be though? I think I read somewhere that it'd be good to take half in VND and half in dollars. I can only find VND on line, so looking at this later today. So..........prob going to take about £500 in VND and then some dollars.
Then got to work out what to pack.............
We've not had final joining instructions yet, did you get them by email or post. Have had a bit of a nightmare week with the holiday. I phoned Malaysia airlines a week ago to book extra legroom seats as Steves tall, they could only find me on the flights not my husband, I thought it was just the operator I got so spoke to First Choice and then rung the airline back and he was definately not on the Heathrow to Hanoi flight or our Kuala Lumpar to Heathrow flights (he was on the flights shorter flights) Eventually they found him flying out 2 days later with another lady (I hope her bookings OK) it took me a week to sort out. It was only finally sorted yesterday, I'm still a bit scared. If I hadn't have phoned for for the extra leg room seats it wouldn't have got picked up till we were at the airport so we probably wouldnt have been joining you for the holiday. Just one thing about taking American Dollars make sure you get New American Dollars as our daughter went to Vietnam last year and they took loads of old american dollars (it was what they were given here and are still in circulation) and they couldn't spend or change them over there. This was a big note - see you all soon, and don't start pancking about whether your on the flights, hopefully it was just ours that was messed up.
Anna - how fortunate you found out in time! You should get flight confirmation from First Choice if thats who you booked through - either post or email? Ours are booked through Exodus, so the email listed all the flights. Just got Heathrow parking to book now.
I guess the good think about buying dollars over the counter rather than online is that you can refuse any that aren't new.
Were also only taking US dollars and travellers chqs, not many places can get VND - First Choice don't do them.
If you're on the flight out of T4, we'll see you in the morning. Just looked and saw there are still 4 empty places left - so maybe only the 12 of us? And there'll be the cycling Vietnam group as well of course.
Gill and Kev
Privacy & Cookies | Customer Charter | Site map | Contact us
©2013 Exodus Travels Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
All holidays and flights are subject to availability - conditions apply. Please see our booking conditions for details.