Where is your comfort zone?
It is important that you choose a trip that is right for you, not just for the geographic location, but also for the level of comfort, the remoteness, likely weather conditions and level of fitness required for the included activities. To give you a guide and a way to compare different trips, we use a grading system across all our trips. Please read these carefully so that you can choose the trip that is right for you, and remember if you are in any doubt whatsoever to which grade of trip suits you, please do not hesitate to contact one of our travel consultants or your agent who will be able to help you find your comfort zone.
To earn an Exodus Tough + grade, a trip is likely to involve all the elements of a Tough grade, plus extra factors of significant difficulty. To participate on one of these trips you may require specialist skills developed prior to departure, for example mountaineering experience with ice axe, ropes and crampons. As with all trips, you should refer to the Trip Notes for specific details.
How we grade our trips:
Grading our trips is a subjective exercise and it is impossible to describe the exact difficulty of any trip due to many contributing factors. The benefit of the grading is to provide an overall indicator enabling one trip to be compared against another.
The major factors taken into consideration when deciding upon the grade are:
- Level of exertion and experience required for activity undertaken.
- Level of comfort in terms of accommodation, travelling, available facilities, temperature range and likely weather conditions.
- Remoteness of area, likely terrain, altitude and access to emergency services.
The Trip Grades:
- Leisurely - Leisurely grade trips are designed for people who are in good health and enjoy the outdoors.
- Moderate - For moderately graded trips you will need to be in good health and reasonably fit.
- Challenging - For any trip at this level or above, fitness is important and you may have to improve yours before departure.
- Tough - This is where it gets serious. At this level we recommend previous experience of the activity involved, as conditions will be tough.
- Tough+ - To earn an Exodus Tough+ grade, a trip is likely to involve all the elements of a Tough grade, plus extra factors of significant difficulty.
Winter Cross-country skiing grades are based on a number system - please see our Winter Activities Style and Grades page for more details.