The Patagonian hightlights trip was fantastic - we fitted so much in, Patagonia is amazing and the trip leader and group were great!
- What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?
There were quite a few inspiring moments - 1) the trek in El Chalten to Fitzroy - the views were amazing and we had fab weather - the walk was lovely - and we had a great guide who explained all about glaciation and the flora and fauna on the way back - the lake was great - and we saw woody woodpecker as well!!!
2) Torres del Paine National park - what an amazing place. The accommodation for a hostel was great - the trek was beautiful along the river and the views at the top were beautiful. Would happily live here!!!
3) Ushuaia - southern most town in the world. We went on a bus and zodiac out to the island where the magellanic and gentoo penguins live. We were about a foot away from the penguins - they're sooo cute.... had a lovely hot choccie on the estancia when we got back also. The photos are fantastic!
4) Trekking on the moreno glacier... we went out to the Viedma glacier the day before and as it was windy we couldn't do the trekking on it. The Moreno glacier was gorgeous and trekking on it was fab!!
- What did you think of your group leader?
Our group leader was Santiago and he was fantastic.. there were 16 of us in our group and every request, question and query was dealt with brilliantly. It could have been hard dealing with a group of this size but he organised everything great! Our bus broke down one day and within 10 mins we were sorted, no panic, no drama and we ended up having lunch in a beautiful restaurant in the torres del paine national park that we wouldn't have seen at all had the bus not broken down - every cloud....... We hope to keep in touch with Santiago as he became a friend to everyone on the trip, he also helped deal with the recovery of a lost camera - much to Carrie's delight!!! I would most definitely recommend him for future trips and admire him greatly! He had a great way with people both the group and everyone we came into contact with (i.e. locals and guides!).
- Do you have any advice for potential travellers?
- Go on this trip!!!!! ... Be prepared for a long bus journey to Ushuaia but well worth it. Layers are a must - although we had fab weather we needed our layers. Bring blister plasters just in case. We went to Iguazzu falls before the start of the trip and had a few days in Buenos Aires at the end - this was a great idea and we really enjoyed having the extra time both before and after the group tour. Although you don't really need spanish that much - it would have been great to have had some before travelling to be able to speak to people more. A phrase book is very handy.
- Is there anything else you would like to add?
If you could ask the boat trip (glaciers) to change their music - poor Jane & Nora had to listen to Celine Dion over and over again!!!!!! (just joking!) We'd like to go back and live over there any jobs??? (only joking the landscape and people are great though!)
Thanks a mill for a great trip! :)
The hotel in El Calafate was good in general, but James got bed bug bites (as did a few other people in the group!) so just to note this for future reference.