- What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?
The whole trip is packed full of amazing experiences - the first glimpse of the pyramids at Giza through the city haze; the quietness of Saqqara & Dashur; standing in awe at Ramses feet at Abu Simbel; the Cairo museum (oh, to have a few days in there!); the wonderment of the architects' & builders' skills - not just those who built the temples in the first place, but then those who moved and rebuilt so many of them; seeing the history that I'd learned about at school (many years ago!) come to life; gazing at King Tut's feet; floating across the Nile valley in a hot air balloon (you have to do it!) ...
- What did you think of your group leader?
Awesome! Khaled absolutely made the trip. His incredible knowledge of the history, architecture, theology, archaeology, mythology, politics, etc, etc of both ancient and modern Egypt was exceptional. His years of guiding experience gave him the ability to modify the itinerary when circumstances require with a minimum of fuss, and to our benefit every time. And along with that, he was fun to be with, gave great eating, drinking & shopping tips, catered to the whims of the group and generally made our time in Egypt a delight - a true professional.
- Do you have any advice for potential travellers?
- Take a variety of credit/debit cards - not all cards work in all machines.
- Take small packs of handwipes/antibac gel.
- Take notes! It's all too much to take in at the time.
- Do some pre reading of ancient Egypt - Lonely Planet was good for me.
- Is there anything else you would like to add?
- You will spend more than you think, particularly on meals, most of the hotels are a way out of town so you will probably eat most meals in the hotel at their prices rather than in local restaurants.
- If you're watching your budget - the road trip to Abu Simbel is fine - most of us slept all the way there.
- Don't expect a full 2 day cruise - you will spend several hours berthed waiting to go through the lock at Esna, and will get rushed through the temples at Edfu & Kom Ombo to keep with the cruise schedule.
- Do the balloon trip at Luxor.