The most amazing holiday because of the opportunity to support white rhino conservation & also because of the quality of sightings (as well as the vast numbers) of game seen.
- What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?
The most inspirational moment has to be the morning when we supported the tagging of the white rhino. Nothing prepares you for the beauty of the animal, the feel of it's skin & the dedication of the people trying to support the survival of these creatures.
To find that we would be given specific individual jobs, rather than just supporting, was a little un-nerving but we could opt for a task. Mine was to muffle the ears of the rhino (which was fine as I didn't want a responsible job such as monitoring his breathing!). All of the staff were patient & valued our contributions. We learnt so much about the white rhino.
- What did you think of your group leader?
- The group leader, Andrew, was a superb organiser. He clearly communicated the next steps & checked that everyone was ok with what was coming next. His support, Wynand, had the most incredible knowledge about all flora & fauna. Both had an obvious passion for the job they do & their environment. They had a sense of humour & were very approachable. They really enhanced the trip experiences.
- Do you have any advice for potential travellers?
Listen to what is said by your leader, on this trip it is essential that you absorb the information given as wild (& unpredictable) animals are involved.
Ensure that you let your leader know if there are any worries. As we are out in the bush it's important that any concerns are addressed as soon as possible, particularly where something like an insect bite or feeling unwell is concerned.
- Is there anything else you would like to add?
Wow!! What an amazing experience. Superb close-up animal sightings & lots of them. Game walks that teach about bush skills such as tracking & safe & unsafe plants. Glorious sunsets & sunrises heralding another exciting day.
An unbelievable holiday with unforgettable memories - including a helicopter ride with the vet to dart the rhino.
Every day brought something new. Out of the many trips I have taken, this one is at the top for unforgettable experiences.