A good introduction to Morocco, packing in most of the country's highlights. It was a terrific trip to a hugeley varied and interesting country - go and visit!
- What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?
There are lots of highlights. For me they included
- tour of the city of Fez. Amazing place - like going back in time a few hundred years
- the countryside of the Atlas mountains. Lovely scenery,and a different way of life
- Essouria -indulging in the seafood and a lovely relaxed atmosphere
- camel trek into the desert. A little adventure.
- shopping in the souks
- What did you think of your group leader?
- Husein is immensely patient and very informative.
- Do you have any advice for potential travellers?
I was with a party of 4 ladies and we did some independant exploration and we never felt threatened at any time, but take some comfy shoes - it's hot! Most of our group had stomach upsets at some point (although nothing too major), so do take appropriate medication with you.
We left some unwanted clothing with the villagers in the mountains which was gratefully received
Parts of Morocco are becoming westernised and prices are rising accordingly, particularly in Marakech. (This was my third visit in 5 years and I noticed the difference). However, it is still a very different culture. See it while you can.
- Is there anything else you would like to add?
A suggestions. Our group asked if we could take picnics some days to avoid lengthy lunches cutting in to sightseeing time, and this mostly worked well. However at Meknes, which was a lovely placewhere it would have been nice to have had lunch by the sea, we bought a picnic at our guides suggestion, but didn't get the opportunity to eat it until 4.00pm! So allow for lunch to be taken at Meknes. Also,we left Essouria (a lovely place) to get back to Marakech for a guided tour of the city the same afternoon. The tour was rushed as many of the sights were closing so we got a very hurried visit, and commuters were returning home, seemingly all at once, on mopeds, via the narrow souks. We couldn't hear the guides commentary and it was dangerous! This tour would be much better if it took place the following morning and would have given a little more time at the coast.