1) Take ear plugs, some of the camps are very noisy into the early hours and with early morning starts sleep can be limited.
2) Take a couple of warm jumpers, a lot of the trip is at altitude, so sitting outside having an evening meal can get chilly.
3) For the lockers a normal TSA type padlock is suitable; but make sure it's a combination lock!
4) Do not leave any valuables in your tent, especially in the campsites with permanent tents. Always lock them on the truck. Unfortunately there was an incident in our group where a tent was broken into and belongings stolen.
5) Take a smaller bag to pack enough clothes etc for a couple of nights away from the truck (at the Masai Mara).
6) Take something to do on the long drives.
7) If you are planning to do any of the activities at Jinga, check your travel insurance before you go. A few of us had to spend the day in the camp as we didn't realise we weren't covered until we got there. The Rafting contains Grade V rapids, so you will probably need to tell your insurance company in advance.
8) Before we went we specifically asked how much money we should take for tips, additional activities etc. We needed a lot more than advised and would have preferred a trip where tips were organised by the tour leader.
We did the reverse itinerary and would recommend this. It means you do the Gorilla Trek at the start of the holiday when you are still feeling fit and well! We then finished at the Masai Mara which was a real high point to end the trip on.
We gave the holiday three stars as the trip notes didn't give us an appreciation of just how much time would be spent either driving, or in camps without organised activities. It was an absolutely fantastic holiday, but if we were to recommend it to a friend we would say do the Gorillas and Masai Mara and miss out the middle section.
Whilst you shouldn't expect any level of home comforts (definitely no Power Showers there!), the facilities were not as bad as we were expecting. And in many of the camps we were able to upgrade to rooms, cottages and even dorms, although this was probably because it was after the main season.