This was both the first winter holiday and the first Exodus holiday we have been on. Both exceeded all our expectations! The only downside? The difficulty we now face trying to decide which Exodus trip to go on next.
- What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?
The first thing that strikes you about Basecamp Oulanka is the incredible peace and solitude. You have been transported to an truely idyllic hideaway.
The breathtaking scenery of the Oulanka National Park as you crunch your way around the Little Bear Trail in your snowshoes or as you glide across the frozen lake on your cross country skies.
The most spectacular snowmobile trip, winding your way through the wilderness to the top of the hill for stunning views and incredible hospitality.
- What did you think of your group leader?
- We had the pleasure of Ellu as our group leader. She was relaxed and attentive and good homoured. She really ensured that we had great fun, she was simply fantastic. It was good to know that we were in safe, capable hands. Nothing was too much trouble, she even came to tow the minibus out the snow on her day off!
- Do you have any advice for potential travellers?
As this was our first winter holiday, it seemed natural to be a little worried about subjecting our bodies to minus 20 degrees, but I can honestly say that apart from just a few minutes during the entire week, we were warmer than back home. When else will you sleep out under the stars at minus 18? Don't miss the opportunity, it's a once in a lifetime moment.
The activities are very well organised, most days you have the opportunity to join in for half the day and you can then do your own thing for the rest, be it ice climbing, or simply strapping the snowshoes or skies on for a wander in the park.
- Is there anything else you would like to add?
What are the chances of seeing the Northern Lights? They show for fifteen minutes on a clear night throughout the winter months. We thought we had no chance, as the first clear night passed and the clouds rolled in, but we were wrong. After a little time invested in looking skyward, we were rewarded with natures greatest lightshow. Amazing!
Everyone we were in contact with, from Basecamp Oulanka staff to the snowmobile guide, from the minibus driver to the Husky Farm workers, were all so friendly and accomodating. Leaving us with great memories of an incredible country - we'll be back! What are you waiting for, book it now.