An absolutely fantastic trip; beautiful country and a great range of activities. Loved it!
- What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?
The whole trip was fantastic and Finland is absolutely beautiful. There was just the right mix of activity and time to chill (in a very peaceful environment) and I came home feeling relaxed and reinvigorated.
Getting to try such a wide range of activites in a short time was great and the staff are so enthusiastic that even those that I perhaps found less appealing on paper (snow shoeing!) turned out to be great fun!
One of the most inspirational moments would have to be travelling through the silent, snowy wilderness on my husky dog sledge.
Similarly, when you can stand back and look at the quinzee that you have built you get a real sense of achievement.
- What did you think of your group leader?
- Teddy was the best exodus leader I have had so far (this was my 5th exodus trip) his enthusiasm for his country and the activities was contagious and his energy was boundless. He got on well with the whole group - and we were a very mixed bunch! Similarly, the rest of the staff at Oulanka basecamp were really friendly and helpful; nothing was ever too much trouble. One of them even lent me her own boots when I had problems with the pair I had borrowed!
- Do you have any advice for potential travellers?
You really don't need to bring much more than a base layer for the daytime as warm kit is provided. Although, I would recomend bringing your own hats, scarves and gloves.
In the evenings it can get quite warm in the dining room with the log fire so bring T-shirts/layers - I only brought 'warm' clothes and nearly boiled alive a couple of nights!
This isn't the cheapest of trips, but the optional activities/food are worth it so bring plenty of money (you can pay for most things by card at basecamp)
- Is there anything else you would like to add?
It was an amazing trip - have a fantastic time! You won't want to come home!
One word of warning though; we didn't see the northern lights (not every group does apparently!) - it can't be guaranteed so don't get your hopes too high - the trip notes seem to suggest that you'd be very unlucky not to but that is perhaps a little overly optimistic!