Flights via Madrid with Iberia. Transport minibus, boat, train, 1 internal flight, and on foot.
8 nights comfortable hotels, 3 nights camping, 1 night homestay and 1 night basic hotel.
All hotels have en suite facilities, most are centrally located and have colonial charm. While camping there will be a toilet tent and separate dining tent but no hot running water. The homestay has basic shared facilities.
There are few/no opportunities for swimming on this trip, but you will be busy trekking, mountain biking, whitewater rafting and exploring ancient Inca ruins.
All breakfasts, 5 lunches and 3 dinners included.
This tour is operated in partnership with our sister company The Adventure Company (TAC), as such the group may be a mixture of Exodus and TAC clients.
This trip is booked through Exodus and you will receive the same award winning customer service that you are used to. TAC operate with the same core principles used by Exodus and champion the benefits of small group travel.
We consider the Inca Trail as moderate to demanding and this tour is designed for families with older (teenage) children in mind. Although you may walk for up to seven hours a day and the route involves considerable ascent and descent, it can be done by anyone in reasonable health and with the will to witness the splendid sight of Machu Picchu. Heat, altitude and rough roads can be tiring. The mountain biking is considered 'moderate', but you can ride in the support vehicle if you are not up to pedalling. The minimum age for this trip is 12 years old.
Specifically for this trip, you should consider the following:
- Altitude: much of the trip takes place at high altitude and this can cause shortness of breath, headaches and sleeplessness. We have tried our best to pace the tour so that you can acclimatise at a gentle pace before commencing the Inca Trail hike, but this issue is worth considering.
- Flights: it takes a long time to fly to Peru, and there is also a big time difference, so the effects of jet lag may be noticeable for a couple of days on arrival.
- Malaria: there is a small but significant risk of malaria in the rainforest. We strongly recommend you seek advice from your doctor about anti-malarials, but you should note that these may have side-effects.
- Strike action: protests and strikes are not uncommon in Peru, and in some cases it may be necessary to modify our itineraries in the event of demonstrations or roadblocks.
- Humidity: you should be prepared for high levels of humidity in the Amazon Rainforest which can make activities more strenuous.
Although we accept children aged 12 or over on this trip, it is very important that you know your child's limitations and are confident that they are able to manage all of the activities on the itinerary, including the hike to Machu Picchu which involves long days walking (5-7 hours each day) and steep climbs in parts.
Normal group size and age
Normally 4 to 20, plus leader. Minimum age 12.
Going on a Family Group trip is a fantastic way to meet new friends and create lasting friendships – for parents and children alike! These holidays combine exploration with sociability and fun, as other families will join you. Minimum ages vary across the trip range, but is usually from 5 years old.
Teenage Adventures offer a broad range of itineraries visiting more remote destinations and more challenging activities. Minimum age from 11. These trips are now officially recommended by The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.
Exodus is always looking to improve our current itineraries and to offer something different. With many new trips this year, there is something unique and different to try every year.
Walking & Trekking: Trips are wholly trekking-focused or simply include a significant number of walking days during the itinerary.
Mixed Activities: Activities may range from the ordinary (for example walking, cycling or whitewater rafting) to the damn right extraordinary (including caving, camel riding or canyoning).
Culture: Let Exodus show you a different side to many of the world's greatest cultural attractions.
All Exodus trips are active but some may have different activities scheduled every day. Activities we offer include kayaking in Slovakia, trekking in the Drakensberg, cycling in the Tuscan countryside or canoeing along the Zambezi River.