A bike, stunning scenery and an amazing group of people to spend time with - what more could you ask for?!? This trip was amazing although a bit more full on that I was expecting but I suspect that was because we all wanted to try and do and see as much as possible so just kept running! Mohitos and Cristals to recover though and off we went again - what are you waiting for? Go for it!!
- What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?
The trip far exceeded my expectations so its difficult to pick one inspirational moment but I think the mountain day takes the biscuit!
Bob had just taken a nose dive off his bike (moral of the story always wear a helmet!!), it was hot, hot, hot (somewhere around 38 degrees) and we were flagging a bit when out of nowhere came the hotel - nestled in the middle of a jungle down the bumpiest road you ever did see!
Never have I been so pleased to see a waiter with a cool drink and the natural swimming pool was stunning... even if we didn't find it til too late to use and just sat in the green pools out the front to cool down!
- What did you think of your group leader?
Jose lead the group and Tuna and Alberto were the mechanics come bus drivers. Loads of local knowledge, plenty of dance steps to teach, lots of patience when we kept finding the nearest bar for drinks and ice creams to cool down... and many a catch phrase learnt to keep us chuckling... Well done "my children"!
- Do you have any advice for potential travellers?
There were a few things that I think would have helped me:
- Take old clothes to leave behind for locals - apparently shoes are very expensive
- If taking gifts school kids want pencils not pens, these are better given to the office workers
- Learn to use your gears on the bike properly - using granny gears is not a failure! (It was very windy and sometimes harder on the flat into the wind than the hills!)
- Take sudacream for any er... delicate bike sores... or even just sun burn
- I wish I'd taken 'thank you' pressies for the guides as well as the tip - they definately deserved them
- No matter how tired your legs are or if you're at the back of the group, if you see something you want to take a photo of stop and take it, you only get one chance!
- Do take a 'good' camera, mine was a few years old and just really slow to take pictures and quite often what i wanted to snap had long gone before my camera fired into action!
- Is there anything else you would like to add?
I have more photos of old cars than any girl can possibly ever need - in fact I have more photos than anyone could possibly want to see (900 in total, but I did stay an extra week in Havana!) and its proving really hard to edit them down as they all hold such great memories!
I would recommend this holiday to everyone - the food was fantastic (no need for chili sauce or the like), the people were great, the support out there and whilst booking was amazing and the scenery when cycling was just stunning (and if you can't make the daily miles just jump on the bus if you get tired!)