Finally reviewing my late summer holiday in January; perhaps that's a good distance, to see what I remember! I'd never been to this part of Greece before, and visiting by bike, plus the initial ferry, was a great way to do it. My overwhelming recollection is of sparkling blue seas; a fascinating introduction to the history of Greece, both ancient sites and the creation of the modern country; and a good mix of some tough hills and gentler cycling.
- What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?
Probably the walled town of Napflio, which was an unexpected pleasure as I'd never heard of it before. We had a few hours to choose our own method of exploring and were spoilt for choice; some of us decided to cycle up the hill to the fortress dominating the town, and were rewarded with the most fantastic views (and a lovely freewheel back down).
Or was it the optional cycle from Corinth, and swimming in the sea on the site of a Greek bath house and Roman villa?
- What did you think of your group leader?
Christiana, the leader, couldn't have done more for us. This was the inaugural trip, so there were a few adjustments needed - eg a change to the autumn ferry timetable meant a quick change to the first morning's plans. Her co-driver, Christos, was equally charming and capable, and his huge enthusiasm for cycling meant we got two guides from time to time, as well as the usual Exodus luxury of an expert puncture-mender.
Alongside the cycling and guiding expertise came an infectious enthusiasm for the country, the countryside, the history, the food and the wine. What more could we want?
- Do you have any advice for potential travellers?
Having been on several Exodus Moderate trips, I would place this firmly in the same bracket.
Some of the climbs were in full sun, so these can get pretty hot.
- Is there anything else you would like to add?
- Thank you, Christiana and Christos; and our "bonus couple", Anna from the Exodus office and her boyfriend Francesco, who helped make this trip such a pleaseure. And the other members of the group; a thoroughly sociable team.