A most enjoyable holiday: wonderful scenery, good variety of walks, excellent leader, great company and lovely sunny hot weather most of the time. Comfortable hotel, within easy walking distance of the village bakery and a good bar, as well as being close to the railway station.
- What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?
There were many of them, throughout the holiday, including the great view of mountains from the balcony of the hotel, superb views during our walks (particularly those in the mountains), and from the train on our various railway journeys (i.e. on 3 of the 5 walking days, and on our day off, when most of us went to Ajaccio).
I loved the fact that we never had to travel by mini-bus at the start or end of the walks. If we weren't using the train, we started the walk from the hotel.
The group was full of interesting people, and we got on very well (and gave the bar in the village plenty of business), so that was another big plus point about the holiday.
- What did you think of your group leader?
- Rudy was very well-organised, knowledgeable, reliable, considerate, patient, and helpful at all times, but with a good sense of humour too. He always tried to ensure that we were all able to go at a pace that suited us: for anyone who wished to go ahead he would explain the route in advance (including any points where there was a danger of going the wrong way). He was very good at giving us the opportunity of visiting bars in any villages that we passed through (and even, on the final day, carrying provisions so that he could brew teas / coffees for us in a shepherd's hut for which he had the key).
- Do you have any advice for potential travellers?
The trip notes are pretty accurate, so if you like the sound of it, go ahead and book it!
The quality of the food and drink at the hotel was excellent but don't expect many vegetables with the evening meal (I understand that this is typical, rather than a feature of this particular hotel). Also don't expect a big variety of choice at breakfast. It consisted of fruit juice, croissants, bread, jam and tea/coffee. But the bread was always fresh and plentiful. The hotel owners, and staff. were always friendly and helpful.
- Is there anything else you would like to add?
I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the trains were very modern and comfortable, and (in our experience at least) mostly on time, or only slightly late. (I understand that the new trains were introduced only in the past year or two, and initial "teething" problems in the transition period are now resolved). So I suggest that you shouldn't be put off by reports from earlier years about the trains being unreliable.