Discover the Food & Wine lovers' paradise on foot
In the heart of the Mediterranean lie Puglia and Basilicata, two unique regions sandwiched between the Adriatic and Tyrrhenian seas. This itinerary explores the best that these regions offer; from the white hilltop town of Ostuni to the fairytale Trulli houses of the lush Itria valley, amazingly still standing after 500 years, to the rock churches and caves of the beautiful city of Matera. Aside from the cultural and natural splendour of these two regions, you will have opportunity to sample the delectable local cuisines and delicious local wines. On the free day don't miss the opportunity to visit the stunning city of Lecc, known as the Florence of the South, with its outstanding architecture and elegant streets.
What makes this trip responsible?
On this trip we stay in locally-owned hotels and we eat in small restaurants offering Apulian specialities. The group’s activities have a low impact on the environment, and our operator rents all equipment locally. These aspects contribute to the continuation of the community itself, by creating jobs and offering career prospects to local people, who may otherwise be tempted to move to a larger city in search of employment. Most importantly, our local partner is an active member in “addiopizzo”, a grassroots organisation established by local businesses and private citizens who refuse to pay the “pizzo” – Mafia extortion money.
National Geographic: 'Best of the World' List
Puglia has been nominated one of National Geographic’s Best of the World destinations for 2014. The list reflects what’s authentic, culturally rich, sustainable and superlative in the world of travel today.
WHY BOOK WITH EXODUS?
• Discover the stunning villages of Locorotondo and Ostuni.
• Walk in the idyllic countryside of Southern Puglia and the rugged landscape of Basilicata.
• All hotels have been specially selected for their warm hospitality, location and comfort.
• Spend a night at Masseria Morrone, a renovated farmhouse, surrounded by olive trees. Here we will be treated to a special traditional meal!
• Join an optional excursion to the beautiful city of Lecce, known as the Florence of the South.
• Sample a variety of locally-produced wines. Puglia was named as one of the 2013 Top 10 Wine Destinations by the Wine Enthusiast Magazine.
Trulli of Alberobello