I had never travelled alone before however met with a warm welcome from the trip leader and the other travellers. I was a little apprehensive about staying in the gite as it was a little out of my comfort zone, but found the accommodation was of a higher standard than I had anticipated. The group soon bonded well and our leader was always on hand to answer any questions or to explain the next day's activities.
- What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?
The welcome we received from the villagers in the mountains. I can never fail to be inspired from those who do not have the material wealth or development that I am used to in the UK, but who still go out of their way to be hospitable. The food, both at the gite and during the rest stops on the walks was nothing short of sensational.
The goat herders whom we saw during our walks - our leader told us that they live in the villages but come into the moutains every day to round up the goats and take them to the nearest source of water. I found this very humbling, to think these people walk into the mountains, sometimes for a few hours, to find their livestock and move them on. I couldn't imagine that happening in the UK.
- What did you think of your group leader?
- He was fantastic, approachable, knowledgeable and with a good sense of humour. He joined in with the group of an evening, even to the point of bringing out a set of drums and teaching us Moroccan songs! His appreciation of the area and its people was amazing.
- Do you have any advice for potential travellers?
Ensure your walking boots are comfortable and in good order - you will be on your feet for many hours!
If you go the same time I did - late August - be prepared, it is HOT. Even in the mountains we were walking in plus 30 degree C temperatures and Marrakech was closer to 50 degrees C.
Mingle with your group - you will be amazed who you meet!
- Is there anything else you would like to add?
As a first time lone traveller I can highly recommend this trip and Exodus as a company. Booking the holiday was easy, I was regularly updated as the time for the trip drew nearer, and received a fantastic kit bag!
I am already planning my trip for next August, however may head off somewhere a little cooler...