This was a fantastic trip and I would recommend it to anyone who is reasonably fit and enjoys adventure
- What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?
- The most inspirational moment was reaching base camp, and seeing the grandeur of the mountains together with the ice formation, glaciers and frozen rivers.
- What did you think of your group leader?
Our group leader, Persang Bomjang, was superb. He was everything you would want in a leader. He said at the beginning that he and the leadership team were there to look after us, and that is what they did throughout. He had 14 years of experience leading trips in Nepal, India and Bhutan. He knew everything there was to know about the trekking, effects of altitude and surrounding geography. We were given a briefing each evening relating to the next day, so that everyone could prepare themselves well. He made sure that everyone drank sufficient water which was crucial for the altitude, and was well informed with regard to potential health issues.
Anyone who has him as their group leader in the future need have no concerns.
- Do you have any advice for potential travellers?
1) Follow the advice regarding fluid intake
2) Take a fleece sleeping bag liner, it makes a real difference
3) Have a rucksack which can hold water bottles on the outside, so that you can access them easily
4) Take Diamox to offset altitude sickness, the side effects are very minor
5) Makes sure you always have a supply of loo paper
6) Warm gloves, preferably with liner gloves are essential at the top
7) Be prepared for fairly basic living/toilet conditions as you get to the higher altitudes
8) Take a balaclava
- Is there anything else you would like to add?
An amazing experience! You do not have to be super fit. If you can walk in the UK hills and mountains, this will be ok. What you need is mental stamina to keep going.
The altitude is the greater challenge, meaning that you get short of breath when trekking above about 4000 metres. Walking slowly, as the guides recommend, is part of the answer.
We had a great group, everyone coped with the challenge, and the scenery was unforgetable!