Madeira is beautiful, stunning views, beautiful weather, sometimes a little misty and cool in the hills but always warm on the coast so perfect for walking, the wild flowers were abundant in April. The holiday was really well organised with a range of classic Madeiran walks showing the best of the island.
- What was the most inspirational moment of your trip?
I loved the high level walk we did on Thursday from Encumeada to Corticeiras, through the eucalyptus forest and then out into the mountains. The views were amazing, we seemed to walk at a high level all day without any really arduous climbing.
- What did you think of your group leader?
Our group leader, Bruno, was great, very knowledgeable and took really good care of us, reminding us to use our sun-screen and drink water etc! He arranged everything, transport, meals and checked that everything was Ok with our hotels.
At the end of each walk Bruno brought us to a bar for a beer or to sample the local drink 'poncha', personally I was hoping for more tea and cake (it being Madeira) but everyone else seemed happy!
- Do you have any advice for potential travellers?
Be prepared for all weather, we did not have heavy rain but I was glad of my fleece, waterproofs and gloves on a cool misty walk in the mountains(the views were still beautiful), however REALLY needed sunhat and sunscreen for most of the coastal walks.
Each day we prepared a pack lunch so I would advise.. bring a tupperware and knife, some sandwich bags and some pickle or peanut butter...I ate a lot of plain cheese sandwiches as I am a vegetarian (Often it was bread and cheese for breakfast too!)!
- Is there anything else you would like to add?
- The hotels on this trip far exceeded my expectations, the first one at Machico was very nice but the two we stayed at in the hills, one at Santana and one at Encumeida, which Bruno described as basic were, in my opinion extremely nice, all with ensuite bathrooms, pleasant bars and restaurants, 3 of the 4 had swimming pools. The hotel in Funchal, although nothing special from the outside was truely PLUSH with gorgeous sea view rooms, balconies and a spa offering massage and beauty treatments, I just ran out of time!!