This was my second trip to Kili and there are a couple of points I think are vital
· HIRE A SLEEPING MAT! They are thicker than anything you could buy here and are carried separately to your luggage therefore do not take up space in your holdall/15kg allowance.
· The scales at the Moivaro lodge are incorrect. They stated I was 3 kg over my allowance however after getting rid of some peanuts and wet wipes, my bag only weighed 12kg when weighed by the porters.
· Take more cash than you ever intended for tipping. You will need to add to the group kitty but then so many individuals play an important part in your journey you will want to show your appreciation to them directly (i.e. the porter who carries your bag / the guide who gets you to the top of the mountain) I promise that whatever you expect to tip you will want to double when you see how far everyone goes out of their way to help you.
· Tuck your trousers into your socks when walking through the jungle or else biting Ants will make the journey north. My friend had to rip her trousers down to find 2 ants biting her legs dangerously close to her knicker line!
· READ MY BELOW ADVICE ON DONATING CLOTHES TO THE PORTERS!