RESPONSIBLE TOURISM IN TRINS
Exodus & Waymark have been operating holidays for 30 years in the charming mountain village of Trins, situated in the beautiful Austrian Tyrol. Tyroleans are very proud of their mountainous paradise and whilst walking or cross-country skiing through traditional villages with onion-domed churches and superb cuisine, it is easy to understand why. Our resident leader, Bob Mason, has also been working in Trins for 30 years and is instrumental in supporting the local community as well as explaining to travellers why responsible tourism is so important to this area.
With each group of travellers we send to Trins, we ensure the money spent every week goes directly to the local community by:
• Using a family-run hotel during winter AND summer
• Encouraging travellers to purchase goods from the village shop
• Employing a local family-run bus company for our airport transfers (and any taxi requirements)
• Eating at family-run cafés/restaurants in each of the side valleys
• Visiting a local farm and buy products directly from the farm shop
• Hiring ski equipment during winter through local family-run company
When possible, we also …
• use the local Post buses, whenever possible
• attend village events, such as band concerts
• have after-dinner speakers from the mountain rescue
• offer a collection box for the mountain rescue at the hotel (see below)
Mountain rescue (MRT) is extremely important to the safety of our groups in these mountains and they rely heavily on donations to buy and update their equipment. The collection for MRT amounted to EUR1000 in the summer 2013, which means the total donated to the MRT to date is EUR 2125. Exodus clients are now the largest donor to the MRT Steinach/Gschnitztal. The winter collection was presented to MRT Steinach/Gschnitztal by Bob Mason at Hotel Wienerhof, where we stay in Trins.