Mera Peak (September 28)

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone else is planning to go on the Mera Peak trek commencing 28th September 2008?

Would be nice to start some com's before travelling.

Craig.

Benedicte

Hi Craig,

I have just registered on My Exodus, and of course went straight to check if our trip was mentioned, and yes it is. I have already booked for this trip, with my boyfriend, and I believe there was already 4 other people booked before Xmas.

Benedicte

Hi,

I'm on this trip too, booked it as soon as I could (and as soon as work would allow me to take 3 weeks off in one go).  I've been looking at lots of pics on google to get a feel for it, and have found a great map with most of the route on.  Have either of you been to Nepal before?  I did Everest Base Camp a couple of years ago and can't wait to get back in to the crisp, quiet mountain air.

Mark.

Cmo92

Hi Benedicte,

Good to hear from you.. There were 8 people confirmed on the trip last time I checked.

The trip seems an age away, but bet it comes round quite quickly.

Craig.

Cmo92

Hi Mark,

Same as yourself. I done the Everest Base Camp trek 2 years ago and have been keen to return to Nepal asap. Have also done Kilimanjaro but think this one is going to be a little harder!

Where did you find the map?

Craig

Hi Craig,

We have Kili in common too. I got my map from The Upton Map shop in Upton Upon Severn, it is a Himalayan MapHouse map 1:30,000.

Mark.

Benedicte

Hi guys,

well I am really scared now reading your comments as I have never gone to Nepal or climbed Kili... but you need a first for everything in life !

My boyfriend had been to Everest base Camp before so as he is the one who has persuaded me to go I suppose he will have to drag me up. 

Am very excited though and can't wait

Benedicte 

Hi,

Don't be scared, just excited. The scenery is amazing, the peace is wonderful, and the people really friendly, you won't want to leave. Hope you've got warm sleeping bags!

Mark.

mbarnes

Hi. Malcolm Barnes here. I and two friends, Ian & Sam are booked in! Anyone live near Sheffield?

Hi Malcolm, sorry, I'm in Worcester, but good to hear from you.  It feels like the trip is coming round quite quickly now, I've just finished getting all the new kit I need, just got a good sleeping mat to buy now.

Mark.

mbarnes

Mark, I've been to Kili too so I know about packing but having been to Everest have you (or anyone else) any tips for packing all the necessary gear for Mera? The weight and volume would appear to be in excess of the baggage allowance.

Hi.

Packing is going to be tricky alright. The sleeping bag, mat, plastic boots, axe, down coat etc, it all adds up. I've got all my stuff now so I'll give it a go, but I expect I will end up putting something in my rucksack as carry-on luggage, probably my down coat, and I will be wearing my hiking boots.  At least I have an Exodus kit bag from a previous trip to experiment with.

Cheers, Mark.

Benedicte

Hi there, haven't been on the forum for a while, but starting to get excited about the trip. We are off to the French alps next week for a bit of training. Can any of you advise on physical preparation before the trip. I am quite anxious about the fitness level required...

And yes packing is looking as a nightmare, and it's even worse for me being a girl ! :)

Hi there,

Just found this forum and its nice to see some faces of some fellow travellers. Keith and I will be joining you in Abu Dhabi as we will be flying in from Jo'burg.

We have done Kili, Elbrus and got to 6400m on Aconcagua 2 years ago. We have never been to the Himalayas though and are really looking forward to it.

Look forward to meeting up with you.

Pete

Hi Everyone, or anyone who can still find this forum.

Well, I’ve just received my new black Exodus kit bag and I’ve spent all morning packing and re-packing, and squashing and squeezing my stuff, and I’ve very nearly got it cracked now. I don’t know how I’m going to repeat it whilst on the trip; I’m exhausted at sea level.  The weight doesn’t seem to be a problem because the bag simply isn’t big enough to fit too much kit in, once I’ve packed my 4/5 season sleeping bag, plastic boots, mat and coat, there isn’t much room left (I don’t know where all my chocolate is going to go). Is it just me, or is anyone else struggling?  See you all soon,

Mark.

I am not using the Exodus bag but have also struggled with space. I am hoping/assuming that our high altitude stuff (crampons/axes etc) will go up to Khare direct over the Zatrwa La pass by porter leaving the other porters/us to carry less on the southern loop and up to the Lakes. However this may be wishful thinking. I will also wearing/carrying some of the bulkier stuff and my hiking boots on the flights. This should be nice and hot going to the airport  as JHB is 25 C during the day.

Benedicte

Am not sure I like those 2 postings very much... have been stressed for the last 2 weeks about packing and your comments don't sound encouraging! But we are giving it a go this week end, so hopefully will sort the packing mystery out.

And Mark there is no way you are leaving those chocolate bars out !

Hi Mike, good point about the kit possibly travelling ahead of us, so I just emailed Exodus about it.  They tell me all the kit stays in our bags (your idea sounds much more sensible). Oh well, one pair of sicks it is then (got to take the chocolate)!

Benedicte

Hi Mark,

we are all done with our packing as well, was a bit of a struggle. We are off on friday evening so will catch up in Kathmandu.

Just to confirm that all mountain kit ie plastic boots, crampons, ice axe are not part of our trekking bags, they will be carried separateley. I have checked with exodus.

See you next week

Benedicte

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments

My Forum Activity

You have not posted anything in the forum yet.

Please create a topic or reply to a topic to see your forum activity.

Call us on 0208 772 3936