TNI840 Khumbu Climber

Hi,

I'm booked on the Khumbu Climber trip leaving 1st Oct. I would like to chat and possibly meet up with other travellers. I've travelled with Exodus previously, trekking in Morocco and activity holidays in Turkey and Slovenia.

This will be my first Nepal trip. I have some experience of snow work from Scotland and the French Alps. I'm planning a couple of weeks training in the Scottish hills this September in preparation for  the trek.

I look forward to hearing from anyone on the trip.

Simon Morgan, 35

Hi Simon,

I'm also a Simon... This will also be my first Nepal trip. Done some training in Wales, the Peak District and the Alps. Intend doing some more training in Wales before departure.

Simon Mills

rhollingum

Hi Simon - I'm on this trip too - I went to Nepal with Exodus last year (Mera Peak) - You''ll love it - the people are great and the scenery's not bad either!

I'm really just a walker so I did a short course in Scotland for iceaxe/crampon experience before last year's trip and it proved really useful. On summit day we had clear skies and incredible views

Hopefully we'll get the same this year 

rhollingum

Hello Simons

..forgot to sign off 

Rob

moggsy72

Hi Simon and Rob,

Good to hear from you. I'd about given up on this forum, so my apologies for a slow reply.

I'm still at the enjoyable stage of purchasing new kit for the trip. Just one step away from the frustration of packing to the weight restriction.

Sadly I've had to forego the training trip to Scotland. Work commitments. But its under two weeks of work now, finishing Fri 26th so I'll have a long weekend to prepare before our departure. 

Guess we'll need to sort out nicknames at the start then Simon.

Si 

Hi Simon and Rob,

I think I've got all the kit I need but its the weight! Going to have to sort out what is essential and whats not. Off to Snowdonia this weekend for my final preparations for going up hills.

Spoke with Exodus the other day and I think there will be 9 of us on the trip.

Simon

rhollingum

Hi Simons

I've not managed as much walking as I would have liked either....managed to keep some general fitness stuff going though - I'm ready for the total switch-off from work now!

Just about managed with the 20kg weight limit last year..some stuff just had to stay at home

See you at Heathrow

Rob

moggsy72

Hi, 

Any advice on footwear? I have a pair of Sportiva Spantiks for above the snow line and the ascents but what about at low level? I'm undecided between lightweight boots or approach shoes?

Thanks,

Simon 

Yes I've been thinking this too. I've got boots for the more serious walking and the snow / ice. I was planning on taking trainers to change into when at camp but approach shoes sound the better bet.

Any thoughts on water bottles or bladder. I usually use a bladder and I've got an insulated tube. I did think of taking a small thermos / or sigg bottle and insulated cover for the big day - still not decided.

When you lay all the kit out it looks massive!!!!

Simon

moggsy72

Hi Simon,

I read an article which said that water should not freeze in a bladder due to the constant movement of the water as you walk. The only part to worry about is the tube so you have to be sure to blow back.

I'm settling on a pair of comfortable approach shoes.

I've attempted one pack of just the clothing required and I was getting close to the weight without any of the small stuff ( wash bag, camera, ipod ).

Have you received your exodus kit bag yet? Luckily I have one from another trip. 

Si 

moggsy72

Hi Rob,

Do you have any advice on currency to take? Dollars, sterling, travellers cheque?

Cheers,

Simon 

Hi Simon and Rob,

I've been asking and looking around and sterling will be fine. I plan to take cash (I toyed with the idea of travellers cheques but not much use when we are on the trek and you stop at a tea shop). Will be able to get money out of the hole in the wall in Kathmandu.

What flight are you on? Mine is coded 9W121 leaving LHR3 at 20:45. My phone no. is 07725026428 so should be able to contact each other and meet up.

Simon

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments
Call us on 0208 772 3936