Kilimanjaro Shira Route

Hi

Looking for anyone else thats booked on this trip.

Regards

Mark & Aleta

jpalmer

Hi

Dan and I are booked on this one as well

Jo

Mark97

Hi

You must be the other 2 then we have been told that there is only 4 people booked by Exodus, are you flying from Heathrow? have you done anything like this before?

Mark & Aleta

jpalmer

Yup - we're flying from LHR. 

Not done anything quite like this before but we are both prone to hurling ourselves at new stuff, just to see what happens...  Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it works!

What about you and Aleta?

Jo

Mark97

Hi Jo

No we have not done anything like this before, we'll have to try and spot you both at Heathrow maybe have a coffee.

Mark

jpalmer

glad to hear you guys are first timers too

are you keen hill walkers or just prone to thinking 'that's interesting' and going for it?

Our last attempt at doing a properly long walk was thwarted by the weather -- remember the snow and hail and general nastiness at Easter?  we were trying to do the Lyke Wake Walk ......

jpalmer

what have you done about travel insurance?

Mark97

Hi

We have insurance with the post office, got our visa's today.

Mark97

Hi

Not hill walkers, Aleta had been talking to some people that had done the walk and thought it would be something different to do on her birthday.

My main interest will be photography while we walk.

Regards

Mark

jpalmer

cool way of celebrating birthday - is it actually whilst we are away?  And dare we ask how old?  I celebrated my 40th in May by having a huge party with one of my chumes who was 40 in March and then heading off to California to do some sky-diving --- awesome!  though not that keen on freefall so am arranging to give paragliding a whirl

hadn't looked at the PO for insurance for this trip - was having a bit of trouble finding policy that covered trekking over 4000m -  STA currently seems best bet - I need the  reasssurance of knowing the med cover is there if it all goes horribly wrong in an AMS sort of way ... and then it won't go wrong!! 

Mark97

Hi

Aleta's birthday is the 4th August and it's her 40th.

We spoke to the Post Office and they said as long as no ropes were used on the clime we were covered.

Mark

jpalmer

they gave me the same info, which is reassurring!  so i gave them some money... seemed fair

Mark97

Hi

Are you taking walking poles with you, also have you managed to get everything down to 20k.

Regards

Mark

jpalmer

yes, we are taking poles.  the last bit sounded like it might be easier with them (assuming we get that far, of course)

haven't tried packing - I'm a fan of the last minute panic!  If needs be will wear boots, softie jkt and 3 prs of trousers on the flight out!! at least it'll make me easy to spot ....

whereabouts are you travelling to LHR from?

Staff member

Hey Mark, Aleta, Dan and Jo

Although I haven't read the Post Office travel insurance policy I can confirm there are definitely no ropes used on the Shira climb, so if it covers the altitude this should be fine.

Secondly, I would definitely recommend poles for the descent off of Kibo. Some people find them useful most days, just to take a little pressure off of the knees.

Thirdly, the group is still 4 people. It's great to see the forums starting to work on our website!

Have a great trip - if you have any last minute questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards
Jim

Senior Product Manager
Exodus

jpalmer

Jim

Thanks for the reassurrance - I am happy with anything up to and including scrambling .... after that it can all get a bit emotional!!!  

Jo

Mark97

Hi

We now have a pole each did not get 2 each, we felt that a free hand might help. Going to try and pack most stuff Sunday to see how much it weighs.

Want to try and fit in some Mars or Snickers, might help on the last day LOL

Mark

jpalmer

i'm going for kendal mint cake(Dan hates the stuff so I know it'll be safe!) .... and a spare pr of legs  :-)

Mark97

Hi

Not sure if you'll get to read this, depends maybe on how far you have to travel, will try to spot you at Heathrow, hope you have a safe and good trip to the airport.

Mark

jpalmer

thank you! 

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments
Call us on 0208 772 3936