Pyrenees Snowshoeing 21 December 08

Hi, wanted to get in touch with anyone going to La Feniere on the 21st December.

ahobsbaum

Yes, I'm going too. First time on snow-shoes. Haven't done winter stuff before; I've been a summer climber! What do I need to know? Any advice?

Angela

theflooze

Hi Angela.  Good to hear from you.  I'm afraid it would be the case of the blind leading the blind!  Although a regular walker at all levels, I've not done anything like this before.  Hoping it will be a good fun though.  Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else.

Sharon

ahobsbaum

Hi Sharon,

Is this your first time in the Pyrenees? I have just realised that it's almost 20 years since I was last there! Climbed the Pic du Midi d'Ossau (further West than we're going to be), which was enjoyable - less than 3,000m - but I was younger then! Am panicking now about having the right winter gear; is there a list I should have read which will tell me what to pack?   

Angela

ahobsbaum

Found the helpful list, and just received the fleece hat in the post! Thank you, Exodus! Not exactly flattering, but v.cosy.

Angela

ahobsbaum

Found the helpful list, and just received the fleece hat in the post! Thank you, Exodus! Not exactly flattering, but v.cosy.

Angela

theflooze

Hi Angela, I haven't been to the Pyrenees before, so really looking forward to it.  Glad you found the list - I wasn't sure about what would be suitable, but have decided that most of my ordinary walking gear will do, plus I've purchased a pair of ski pants.  Know what you mean about the hat - nice thought, but who designed the shape!!  Can't imagine it looking very flattering on anyone!  Plus it seems to be a bit on the large size!  Perhaps we can take them along with us on the holiday and think of a use for them other than as headgear?!  A prize for the best suggestions.  See you soon. Sharon

ahobsbaum

Dear Sharon,

I don't go for glamour in the mountains, so I don't care what the hat looks like as long as it keeps my ears warm! Do I have time for a haircut, or not bother because I'll need the insulation? I do hope the weather will be good, but just to be somewhere peaceful in the mountains will be lovely. Last night, two policecars and three ambulances passed me on my way home, sirens screaming!

Angela

theflooze

Hi Angela, did you see the snow forecast for the Pyrenees?  Sounds like we will have plenty of snow and a guaranteed white Christmas!  I'm with you in the glamour stakes - warmth and comfort come first!  Probably the only noise that you will hear is that which we make ourselves as I think we are fairly isolated.  Are you going to take them up on the meal on Christmas Eve?  Sounds like a good option.  Sharon

ahobsbaum

I hope it's still snowy there and that the early snow won't have melted (why am I such a pessimist?) but really looking forward to it now. Must get some euros. Yes, a meal in the chalet on Christmas Eve will suit me - and prbably an early night too!

Angela

theflooze

I had heard reports that the early snow was melting, but I think the forecast is for a lot more over the next couple of days, so hopefully we will be OK.  Ordered my Euros last week - you don't get a lot for your money these days!!  My Wine Fund may be drastically reduced!  Then again .....!!  Sharon

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments

My Forum Activity

You have not posted anything in the forum yet.

Please create a topic or reply to a topic to see your forum activity.

Latest Forum Topics

Call us on 0208 772 3936