LYCIAN ACTIVITY WEEK

Hi

Just booked on this trip this week and feeling pretty excited! Be good to hear from any fellow travellers!

Anna

:)

Hi

I just booked onto this holiday yesterday, really looking forward to it.

Gareth

mclohessy

I'm coming too!!

I was supposed to have gone on this trip last year but being a complete genius, I broke my wrist so had to postpone :o(

Are you both going on your lonesome too?!

SHELL x x x

Hi

That’s sounds like a genius thing to do, I’m obviously not quite as clever as just before my last holiday I only managed some deep cuts, bruises and a serious dead arm, which I thought was broke.  Still, time yet though!!!!

Yes, I’m also travelling alone.  I’m seeing a plan that includes an airport, a pub and a beer!! :D

kittymcg

Hey, i booked this trip aaaaaaaaaaaages ago it was the cheapest funnest one i could find! Have any of you travelled with exodus before? i haven't

kittymcg

Im the human not the horse

mclohessy

Glad you cleared that one up... but I would be highly amused to see a horse riding a bide!!

No I've never travelled with these guys before or indeed taken myself away on my "own" like this outside of work stuff... 's all rather fun and yup, I booked mine based on finding the soonest, funnest, cheapest one too!!

Airport, drink etc sounds like a plan... 

BTW, in my pic, I'm the canvas! :oP

SHELL x x x

asutton1

Does this mean some of you are clumsy or just unlucky...? 

This my first time with Exodus and first time on an activity holiday, so its all v.exciting.

Are you all experienced at any of the activities?  I've "tried" WWRafting, kayaking and obviously can ride a bike but I'm certainly no pro at any of them! I'm feeling the need to get down to the gym at every chance possible.

Are you all travelling from Gatwick?  I'm Birmingham based so will be travelling down to Gatwick the night before.

Catch ya laters

HiClumsy or unlucky??  More a little over enthusiastic for my skill level. No I’ve never travelled with Exodus before, or even gone on holiday on my own before. I’ve had a friend who went on this holiday and they say they had a really good time. I'm based in Manchester, but am currently staying in hotels mid week around Brighton and Southampton so I may work something out to be around the South at the weekend before the Holiday, or maybe travel down on the Sunday evening.I do a bit of Mountain Biking and sometimes the gym but that’s about it.

kittymcg

Well how jolly exciting this all this, My name is Katie, im 24 and I'm living in Berkshire at the moment. Who is going from Heathrow? I want to meet a fellow traveller so we can zoom into the air together! Does anyone have facebook?! 

Hi

I'm going out of Gatwick, and yes I have facebook

Gareth :)

ataylor2

Hi all,

I'm also going on this trip on me lonesome. Will be flying from Gatwick so if anyone wants to meet pre-flight for some dutch courage, shout in my general direction. Apart from a bit of mountain biking never have done anything like this in my life - but hopefully that'll make it all the more fun :-)

Never been with Exodus before but I've heard good things from those who have.

Anyone any tips for must have items to bring with us?

Andy

mclohessy

Looks like we're all on our lonesome thusfar!... In answer to your question, I don't try to be clumsy or unlucky, I just occasionally am! The law of the sod is strong with this one!!

Count me in for dutch courage at Gatwick!... mmm I'm looking at what to bring too and any "must have" suggestions would be great people!! :oS

SHELL x x x

kittymcg

Hey a good job i checked, i was SURE it said heathrow i was going from when i first read it but it looks like im going from Gatwick aswell! Yeah we should all wear colour coded jumpers or something so we can find eachother!

Hi

Is everyone who is flying out of Gatwick on the 8am flight? From the trip notes i'm assuming that London Gatwick N will be the North terminal. Anyone a suggstion on a meeting point?

Some suggestions i've been given by a friend who has previoulsy been on this trip are: 30 litre bag for the days, dry bags for kit, good pair of boots for the walking and/or pair of boots for canyoning (be aware these will get ruined.... apparently), sandals for kayaking. Due to the time of year I'll also be taking a warm jumper and a light weight waterproof jacket.

What suggestions has everyone else got?

Gareth

Hi

What are people doing about money?? Are people getting it here or when they get there?  How much do you reckon we will need??

Gareth

ataylor2

I think the trip notes said that we should expect to spend around £150 on food but should allow more for drink, be it alcoholic of otherwise and also suggested that we wait until we get to Turkey before changing our currency as by bringing in Sterling we'd get a better exchange rate than, say, at the airport or post office...

Not entirely convinced myself...I can half imagine wandering up to some randomly placed back street bazaar waving a bunch of notes and walking away having been thoroughly fleeced with the Turkish equivalent of £1.67 in my wallet. Maybe I’m just a cynic…?

As much as I’m starting to get like a kid a Christmas in anticipation of finally going on holiday, I rather resent the idea of buying a pair of boots to wear for one day and subsequently ruin. Is this really an essential do you think? Any thoughts on possible alternatives?

Love the idea of colour coded jumpers!! Huge inappropriately sized denier itchy woolly one’s! Either that or it could be an excuse to bust out the old green and red reindeer jumper your granny knitted you a few years ago that you’ve been looking for an excuse to wear……no?….just me then…

Andy

ataylor2

BTW according to what I've been sent so far I'm going on the 8am Gatwick North Terminal Flight on 4th May.

mclohessy

Ok... introductions. Hi all I'm Shell, 25 and I'm in South Herts! Currently thinking about upping my gym usage but i stupidly did a spinning class as a precursor for the mountain biking and now i'm scarred...spinning's EVIL!! :-O 

Sadly I have no grannie or ancient auntie or any other knitting relative for my wooly jumper :'o( sad times!! I do have deely boppers and so could wonder round departures in them and my rucksack like a lost little alien tourist!... or we could aim for the Lloyds/Weatherspoons airside?! (yes there definitely is one!)... I'm Gatwick North Terminal for the 8am too.

I asked Exodus about kit as i'm a genius (again!) and lost my booklet thing- i did book this in September!! It's been completely confirmed that canyoning trainers will be ruined but you can wear the same ones for white water rafting too as they'll be soaked both days... Ankle support's not imperative for canyoning apparently, (just be aware of where you're putting your feet) and so if you have any old trainers they'll do. I'm lacking knackered trainers and so bought a pair of £15 walking shoes from sports direct/JJB?one of those discount sport store things?-can't remember the name... they're last seasons colours (SHOCK!!) but for £15 do I care?!

BTW, I have NO IDEA how much 30litres is so I think i'm going to take my "winter" rucksack... it's pretty water tight-only downside is it's practically dayglow fuscia as it's used to find me when i wind up face down in a snow drift!!... so I'll be the tall one with the insanely bright rucksack! :o) ...what do you mean by "dry bags?" :oS

SHELL x x x

mclohessy

BTW, anyone else on facebook? I can't find you Gareth... but then I'm finding a LOT of Gareth Jones!!

If U want, i'm Shell Clohessy ...the one and only!! 

SHELL x x x

mclohessy

Always the bringer of glad tidings... booked your travel jabs yet people?! I get mine on tuesday then have to drive 250miles for work on a sore backside!!

SHELL x x x

ataylor2

Right, hello….I’m Andy, I’m 27 I live in Portsmouth Hampshire, and work in Winchester…umm still Hampshire. I havent done any preparation for this trip, especially being on a bike coz the last time I got on one was 2 yrs ago and I was hit head on by a car, despite being in a cycle lane on the correct side of the road!! Still, face your fears and all that :-D Spin is pretty wicked though - if only in terms of the pain they inflict on you.

Travel jabs booked for next week. Loving the fact that only a knackered pair of trainers will do - I have loads of them!

Lloyds/Weatherspoons airside sounds good to me - don’t have a rucksack of any description at the mo, so havent a clue on the colour yet or indeed what I’ll be wearing.

Shell - what on earth kind of job do you do where you have to work on sore backsides?

mclohessy

LOL! I anticipate a sore backside thanks to the random nursey lady shoving needles into it... And thanks to my loooooovely job I'm driving a million miles for an event straight after my dr's appt and then home the next day!...

SHELL x x x

I was going to laugh at you all, as I've had all my jabs a few years ago...... until a realised I didnt get my top up for one of them, I think it's Dpitheria that needs it.  I will have to get that sorted now.

For anyone who is worried, the vacinations are combined, when i did mine i needed 3 injections you guys may get away with 1 or 2.

By the way they go in your arm(s)!

mclohessy

Hurrah! not my butt?! Excellent! :o) 

BTW, Ive looked at the whole "what to bring" thing and it says if you're cycling then you need to bring a helmet... you all packing helmets?

SHELL x x x

I have done my recce of Gatwick North terminal and found that Shell is trustworthy and the Lloyds/Wetherspoons does exist.  For those that don't know the airport, once you come through security the bar is diagonally over to the left on the upper floor.  Its above Dixons and near the Sports Car raffle.  To get to it the easiest way is on the escalators on the left, which are the otherside of the duty free perfume/alcohol shop.  Hope this means we'll all be in the same place.

Gareth

ataylor2

If helmets arent provided then I will be bringing my own - I know it sounds a little melodramatic but the only reason I'm alive -literally - is that I was wearing a helmet when a car hit me. Also, I've worked with people who have acquired brain injury as a result of coming off of bikes and other similar acquired head injuries. You can only imagine the damage and hurt and heart ache it causes them, their families etc etc.

Sorry for that ray of sunshine - just something I feel strongly about!

maxcaffa

I'm Max, 46 years old and from Holland. I booked this trip because it was very appealing to do so much in one week. This is the first time I ever travelled on my own and I have no idea what to expect. I do some running and cycling and hopefully are up to the challenge of keeping up with  people who are much younger, as I saw that there is no one over 30 yet! I fly from Dusseldorf and looking forward to meeting you all in Dalaman. Have a good trip. Regards Max Caffa

mclohessy

Hi again all!

There's a lovely lady over at Exodus who i'm emailing all my stupid questions to and who is being wonderful by answering everything! We do NOT need to bring a helmet, repeat NOT!! There's one provided for us out there so you can unpack that stupidly large and difficult item from your case and concentrate on the issue of "many shoes" 

SHELL x x x

kittymcg

hey, o im getting so excited for this trip now! I think ill be travelling to gatwick airport on sunday eve as i have to get a train so i shall be sleeping on a chair??!! HA so ill prob be the first one in the bar........so watch out for me!

I think that they only tell us to bring all these random items just in case im sure we wont need half of them. I think we should just relax

I think the first subject of conversation will be ATaylor getting run over and Shells weird job! 

I've just had to sit in Gatwick and watch all those annoying people go off on holiday, will soon be me though woohoo!!

I may be competing with you for first in the bar, I currently have the choice of the airport or the rental car.  I'm thinking I need to figure something else out!

lwigzell

Hi guys,

I'm Laura, 23, and I'm also booked onto this trip. Brill idea to meet up before the flight. I think I'm on the 07.55 flight too so will make my way over to the Wetherspoons and try and track you guys down after check-in. Are pubs open that early in the morning...? If it is, I will be mighty impressed. What sort of time are people thinking of meeting there ish?

Can't wait to get going now - getting really excited - except for maybe the massively early start on Monday...

Meet you all soon!
Laura

Hi

I think I will be looking to check in at 5.30 to 6.00 depending on what the tickets say on them.  I reckon it will be possible to check in for up to an hour before so that should be plenty of time.  Don't cut it too fine though as the business travellers make monday mornings quite a busy time in the airport.

Yes the pubs will be open, they sell breakfast but you can have something alcohol if you stomach can take it at that time of the morning.  If you can find any of us on facebook it may make it easier to spot us.  Gold star if you manage to find me in the millions of others with the same name :D 

ataylor2

Just outta curiosity, what, if anything, have you all received from Exodus re this trip?

Personally I've only received the booking confirmation & invoice via email, anything else I've downloaded, like the trip notes and insurance info.

I'm just starting to get a little neurotic about ensuring I've remembered everything and of course received everything I ought to have.

Cheers

p.s. hello to the 'relative' newbies also coming along

Hi

I am in the same sitaution as you and have only recieved a confirmation of booking via an email with links on it to download the relevant documents.  Somewhere on one of the documents it says the tickets will be issued 2 - 3 weeks before the trip.  I'm not at home during the week so can only check my mail on Fridays.  If anyone does recieve anything over the course of the next week could they put a post on here.

Thanks

Gareth

lwigzell

Not received anything either. Glad I'm not the only one! Was starting to get worried.

Looking forward to my 6am beer :)

I have my tickets now, and I think everything I will need.  All I need now is a beer and a plane.

lucy_gft

Hi guys, just realised it's only a week until this trip :-) I'm Lucy, 28, based in London. I couldn't get on the 'normal' flight because I booked late, so I'm on one leaving Gatwick half an hour earlier. Some good tips above about what we do/don't need to bring - cheers!

nsammons

Haha, this is classic - everyone is so prepared re jabs/boots/helmets/jumpers/pubs etc

I'm Nick, 23, also London based and very much looking forward to a week off work.  A 6am pint doesnt sound like the worst idea so I'll come hunt down the multi coloured bags and jumpers!

See you all next week

Hello everyone,

I now count 9 travellers, assuming the group is at it's max of 16 we just need another 7 and we'll have a full house! Anyone else out there?

I'm going to retract a bit of info I said up above...  I got the tickets and they say check in by 5.55am.  Based on this I'll be looking to check in a little earlier as I dont want to join a que of people all checking it last minute. 300 people on a plane all checking in at once is going to be a long wait! So it will be more like 5 to 5.30.

cfuller

Hi!

My name is Clare, I am 24 and from Reading. I will see you all at Gatwick for the early pint! :)

xx

mclohessy

I'm getting really excited now!

I know I'm probably missing something really important but can't work out what it is yet!! Hey ho! I'm sure that worse things have happened and I have shoes and stuff like that around here somewhere!

Weatherspoons at 6 then! 

SHELL x x x

ataylor2

Right, well, I’m ridiculously excited. Anyone else?

Did anyone else take out the Exodus Travel Insurance? The paperwork says that we should carry the policy document with us on holiday and on the front of said document there’s a space that reads ‘Your Personal Insurance Number is:’ I’ve looked through all my paperwork and whilst the confirmation invoice shows I have insurance, there’s no mention of a policy number. Did anyone else get a policy number, or know where to look for one?

mclohessy

Same worry as above :oS 

SHELL x x x

Hi everyone. My name is Elisha, Im 29 and living in London. Really looking forward to the trip- it is much needed!

I just bought the travel insurance today, the policy number is the same as your booking number

See you all on Monday

ataylor2

Hi Elisha, and thanks, I figured someone had to know

x

mclohessy

Elisha, I love you! Thanks! 

SHELL x x x

Has anyone else noticed the other holiday going to Turkey??

Who is going to look for the red tags at the airport and end up sat in the wrong group :D

mo'neill1

Hi everyone, I'm Marie. I'll be joining you on this trip too. I really can't wait to get away. I booked this trip in February after crashing my car....reckoned I needed a break. So, its been a long time coming!! I'm travelling to London on Saturday and will be in Gatwick for that Monday morning flight. See you all there!

xx

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments
Call us on 0208 772 3936