kilimanjaro

hi just wondering if anybody else will be traveling on this date to kili?

Ruth05

Hi, my friend and I are looking to go to Kili at the same time. Just need to check she can get time off and then we'll book. Have you booked yet?

lisa85

yes have booked the trip.

Ruth05

Great I think we're going to book in the next couple of days, will let you know.

lisa85

ok then

acarrion

Hi Lisa! I just made all my final arrangements and bookinga a few weeks ago. I thought I'd give this a looksee just in case anyone was meeting up already. How did you pick the Kili trip? I posted about 7 trips up for a vote on facebook and let all my friends decide my fate. Of course, they WOULD pick the most difficult.  The most legit reason given was "the glaciers will be gone by 2020"; the least encouraging was "we don't think you'll actually go through with it".

lisa85

Finally made my final payment today and got my jabs : ( . After watching the comic relief climb a few months back and gone to the pyrenees moutnains in march i kinda got the taste for it. So saw this trip and thought hey why not could do with a new challenge lol. Have u done much preperation for it?

acarrion

I've picked up a few books at an outdoors store with some good tips. It all boils down to just having a good exercise regime and being in good shape. I was lucky enough to be working in Bavaria the last three weeks (three more to go) so I've taken on a few 2000-3000 meter rockpiles around here as my "training ground". I don't have many climbing choices in East Anglia so I have to go to the Lakes or Wales to get some altitude. I'll be hiking up Zugspitze in Germany tomorrow to do a bit of a "gear shakedown". Where in the UK are you? If you want to chat off this forum you can send me a personal message, too.

lisa85

Hi ya well being down on the isle of wight not really much choice so its more the case of the gym and running. Sounds like u have done alot of prep so far for the trip. H ave pick a few books up myself for the trip to read up on. I ve sent of for my visa already. Do u know who else is on the trip?

acarrion

I wouldn't say I've been doing "a lot" of preparation, just what I can given the circumstances. I do have some good news though, this last weekend I was hiking up the Zugspitze over two days and I stayed at a mountain hut halfway up (Reitalangershutte).  In casual conversation, I noticed the manager of the place had done quite a few climbs himself. I asked about Kili and he said he had done it last year. Essentially, he said that in general it is not a difficult climb. The real challenge comes on the last day (of summit attempt). Apparently the body can handle, it's the mind you have to watch out for. As long as we just keep going... slowly, slowly (poly, poly as the porters say) and just keep moving (even if it be one foot in front of the other) we'll be just fine.  He could only describe reaching the summit as a "glorious rush of adrenaline and accomplishment".  Despite all the warnings, I think we'll be just fine...

I thought I could pass on this tid bit of information... Isle of Wight, eh? Well, that's nowhere near East Anglia but if your planning on doing any long hikes, let me know.

Armando

lisa85

Injections all done now and visa arrived so thats all sorted out. Just a matter of keeping fitness up and sorting my gear out now. Cant believe how quick the weeks are flying by. Should be ok as long as we take it slow then, ive read that in some of the books i picked up looks like the way to go. Think theres only 2 spaces left now on the trip. Yeah the isle of wight dosen't really offer any mountains to climb am trying to get some time off work to do a long climb befor the trip but its looking slim. Do you know if we need to take poles or hire them? 

lisa85

anyone else traveling on this date ?

joelle abrahams

hi there, ive booked to join this trip with my dad. were doing it together for charity. can't wait to go, getting very bored of the treadmill!

lisa85

Hi ya can relate to that feeling, have just about got all my things together for the trip. What charity are u doing it for? The weeks seem to be flying by now seems ages since i booked it. Cant wait to get there and start climbing.

lisa85

any one traveling on the group flight 7th aug?

acarrion

hey lisa. i'll be on the 7 aug flight. i'll be getting to heathrow quite early actually we should meet up somewhere at heathrow.  07775 716936

lisa85

have taken both numbers down will track u down at the airport see u all soon : )

lisa85

ps  - 07850492411

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments

My Forum Activity

You have not posted anything in the forum yet.

Please create a topic or reply to a topic to see your forum activity.

Latest Forum Topics

Call us on 0208 772 3936