HIGHLIGHTS OF TIBET ACB - 1 OCTOBER 2011 DEPARTURE - ANYONE?

Hello!

I am booked on the Highlights of Tibet (ACB) departing from London Heathrow on Saturday 1 October 2011.

The question is:  Are you booked on this one too?  If so, please get in touch. 

This will be my 3rd trip with Exodus!!  It's going to be fantastic!  I am so looking forward to this trip and meeting the rest of the group. 

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I just came across your post.  After enjoying Highlights of Northern India so much last year, I'm booked up for Highlights of China (ACH) in September.  Your latest trip sounds fantastic, I'll add it to my wish list and I'll hit you up for some tips if I ever go on it.   Make sure to write a review.  Hope you have a great time when it comes.

Douglas

AndrewTo

Hi Doug

For a second, I thought someone was going on this trip, well there must be as it's guaranteed so the minimum numbers must have been met.  Glad to hear that you enjoyed India.  I told you guys you would especially with a leader like Bally.  Sounds like you have got the travel bug too.  Highlights of China sounds excellent.  Look forward to seeing the photos.  Yes, you have a good time too.  Sure you will.

Andrew

Thanks for posting and bumping me up in the list,  I thought I was consigned to the bottom of the second page... Just returning the favour...  I was starting to worry I would be going to China on my own, but remembered that not everyone spends so much time fannying about on the internet as I do... hey, I work in IT, that's my job.  There's still a while to go, so here's hoping we get some bona fide responses soon :-)

AndrewTo

Thanks.  I know! Not every traveller posts on these forums, but it would be nice to get to know each other before the trip.  Oh well, we shall see.  Roll on September and October! 

Julie-V

Hi Andrew

You have company ! We have recently booked this trip and are really excited about it , we just can't wait .

Regards - Julie

AndrewTo

Hi Julie

At last! I'm not the only one travelling on this departure after all.  Good to hear that you and someone else has booked too as you mentioned "we".  I'm travelling solo.  Are you flying from LHR? 

Yeah, can't wait.  I am so looking forward to it.  I just hope I can handle any AMS if any.  I know it's just about 4 months away, but October will soon be here.  I'm guessing it's going to be rather cold in Tibet and  may be not so cold in Nepal. 

I am sure we will have plenty of questions nearer the time.  I have one question for you re: Visas.  Are obtaining yours prior to departure or just getting it when we arrive?  I think it's just the Nepal one that we need to get.  I understand from an Exodus rep that the Tibet visa is a group visa?  I may be wrong.  I'll have to double check my notes again.

Have you guys travelled with Exodus before?  This is my 3rd trip with them.  All have been wonderful too.   

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Andrew

Julie-V

Hi Andrew

I'm travelling with my husbnd Andy, so will will be a party of at least 3 !  and we are leaving from LHR .

You can take medication for the AMS, but according to the doctor, the side effects are very similar to the symptoms and could make a diagnosis slightly more difficult so we are still weighing up the options. We have never travelled to this altitude befor so it's all guess work really !  Have you been to these altitudes before and if so how did you find it ?

As for the visa to Nepal, the guys at Exodus say that it isn't worth getting them in advance as you have to queue up for the stamp anyway.

This is our first trip wuth Exodus, but i'm hopeful that it won't be our last as they have so many wonderful places to visit, our wish list is growing all the time ! 

We look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards

Julie

Julie-V

Hi Andrew

we are starting to get organised for the trip, and thinking about what to pack clothes wise, it's a little tricky but hopefully we will get the balance right !

I'm interested to hear about your photography, we have a couple of fairly decent cameras - 1 digital SLR and one tiny more up to date pocket camera which takes great panoramic shots.  What type of lenses are you thinking of taking with you ?

We also thought about the Chitwan trip but also decided against it .

Reagrds  Julie

PS will try to put a picture up, but as you can tell from the (male ) silhouette i'm not great with the technology :-)

Julie-V

Hi Andrew

We are pretty well up to date with the clothing ( i think !! ) and the camera equipement, although i must read up about best settings for the the conditions we will be in ect to refresh my memory...

As for the tripod, we are going to do the same as you and pack the bag with the essentials and see how much room is left.

Obviously we'll take the standard lens and would like to take the 300mm as well, but in the end it will all come down to weight and room.  The new 'panoramic' pocket camera looks like a good buy and will be our substitute for the wideangle lens....oh so many thing sto think about.

To be on the safe side we will take some water purification tablets with us, but i don't really think we will need them, as all the bloggs i'v read suggest that bottled water is readily available.

Best wishes

Andy & Julie

Julie-V

Hi Andrew

Have you seen the nurse yet ?  did she have a view on the rabies vaccination ? We are thinking that maybe we should have it done. Any thoughts ?

Best wishes

Julie

Julie-V

Hi Andrew

I think you are right in syaing that the Malarone should not be needed, but we have decided to go with the rabies vaccination. ( starting next week :-(  )

We have most of the clothing sorted out now, but are debating on the down jacket, are you taking one ? 

I expect we will take US dollars, as i think these will be the easiest to use, although i'v read that euros and sterling are accepted in some places as well.  But it's probably best to stick with a more universal currency.

At the moment, we are thinking that we will probably not take the tripod, as it's quite bulky and I can see that it could be more trouble than it's worth.  _ Maybe a monopod would be a better idea - i might add ithat to the shopping list !

We are getting really excited now, only 5 1/2 weeks to go !!!!!

Andy & Julie

Julie-V

Hi Andrew

I think we are pretty much sorted now, and we are planning to do a trial pack this wekend, then I hope we will be redy to go !!

We heard about ' The wildest dream ' some time ago, I think it was first shown via the imax cinemas , and couldn't believe it when we noticed it was on TV  - we still can't believe that we will be at base camp in just a few weeks time.  It was an amazing film, and has sharpened our appetite even more.

In addition to the recommended list, I'm planning to take a supply of snack bars - just in case we get stuck along the way, but that is purely precautinary, and it will give us a back - up if needed.

I expect we will also arrive at the airport late afternoon, for the same reasons as you ! we will keep a lookout for you, i do have a facebook account but i'v only set it up for this trip - and guess what - i couldn't sucessfully load a photo to that either !! so there's not point in giving you that .  All I can say is that we will be the couple wearing the big grins  :-)

We look forward to meeting you too - best wishes

Andy & Julie

AndrewTo

Hi Andy & Julie

I'm pretty much sorted too.  I received my final joining instructions today.  Did you?  I had a trial pack over the weekend.  How did yours go?  I have decided against taking the tripod - too much faffing about and the weight too.  I just don't see myself setting it up along the way.  If need be I'll improvise.  Some snack bars is a good idea.  Possibly some Kendal mint cake too.  I'll do the same.  I have printed off my checklist and will go through that to double check. 

Did you say that you're both taking down jackets?  

Keep a look out for me and approach me when you see me!  I'll be wearing traditional Tibetan attire so you shouldn't miss me. I'm only joking, of course.

Not long now...counting down the weeks.  It feels like winter already in the UK.

See you both very soon.

Andrew

Julie-V

Hi Andrew

Only 11 days to go !!!  Our trial pack went well and we are pretty good on weight, so we are happy about that.

We don't have down jackets as such, but loads of warm layers which we hope will suffice - i think that after reading so many articals on trip adviser / internet forums and speaking with the reps at exodus, that we will be ok at that time of year. if the departure date had been later then we would have taken a different view.  - how about you ?

Looking forward to meeting you

Andy & Julie

Hi Andrew,

Just wanted to say have a great holiday when it comes, won't be long now.  I'm off on Saturday, I hope China lives up to my expectations, I've heard it will.   Make sure you get some good pictures, I'm very intrigued about your trip.  Might sonsider it myself, although I really fancy the Inca trail too, as well as going back to India at some point... got loads of places on my list.  Anyway, enjoy yourself!  All the best,

Douglas 

Hi Andrew, I was on the India trip, same as Douglas, last year and you were really helpful before hand - thanks!

Hope you have a great trip - appeals to me - will be interesting to see how tough the walking is.  Hope you upload some photos as you have put some beautiful ones up of previous trips - so looking forward to that and also reading your review (if you write one).

I'm torn on which holiday to do next year, I'm leaning towards Bhutan or Bolivia - though with Explore rather than Exodus - I went to Nepal with Explore and they were fantastic - ah decisions decisions!!

Anyway - have a great trip and hope to see some great pics on your return!

Catherine 

AndrewTo

Hi Andy & Julie - 10 days to go now.  It seemed like it was months away when I booked this trip.  My trial pack went ok too, but I keep thinking that I have forgotten something.  I'm under 20kg which is good.  Same here, just layering the clothing.  I have yet to pick up some snack bars too.  Will be seeing you both next saturday at LHR - Look forward to it.

Doug and Catherine - Thanks a lot.  I'll tell you both all about it upon my return.  Doug - Have a great trip to China.  Tell me all bout it and I look forward to seeing the pics.

All the best.

Andrew

Hello all:

My name is Joel, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I am registered for this trip.

antidot

Do you think the Tibet trip may be affected by last week's earthquake in Sikkim?

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments

My Forum Activity

You have not posted anything in the forum yet.

Please create a topic or reply to a topic to see your forum activity.

Call us on 0208 772 3936