Know what you want to do but flexible on where you want to go? Or maybe you have a burning desire to visit a certain country but need recommendations on how to spend your time there? Whether you’ve decided your travel preferences or not, we can help.
1) Walking or cycling the Austrian Lakes – From the base of a cosy lakeside property or a 4-star hotel in the town of Strobl, you’ll spend each day exploring the idyllic waters of Austria. Your activities will be flexible, with a choice of cycling and walking. Along the way, you’ll be able to visit the Mozart museum, take a cable car up the Zwölferhorn mountain and explore Salzburg’s fairy-tale Baroque palaces and Renaissance gardens.
2) Cycle Indochina & Angkor – After the ultimate biking holiday? The Indochina & Angkor cycling activity holiday takes you through three fascinating countries: Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. By bike, we’ll see the eucalyptus and tapioca fields of rural Thailand and, of course, the jungle-surrounded wonder of Angkor Wat and its network of ancient temples and moats. You’ll also cycle across the Vietnamese border and through the “rice bowl” of Vietnam, the Mekong Delta.
3) Canoeing on the Dordogne – Canoeing is a simultaneously active and relaxing way to see one of the most interesting waterways in France. After we’ve given you all the essential know-how for canoe-handling, you’ll be on your way, admiring golden-pink limestone cliffs, medieval chateaux and medieval villages. All your hotels are in lovely spots with their own swimming pools for you to unwind in.
4) Arctic Circle Aurora Adventure – This amazing winter adventure takes you to Sápmi (also known as Lapland). Picturesque, icy and remote, you’ll enjoy this region while hosted by two Sámi residents, learning about their way of life and looking out for the Northern Lights each night. Your holiday will be packed with winter activities such as dogsledding, snowshoeing and skiing in the forest.
5) Namibian Family Adventure – This family activity holiday (for age 9+) will take you to a landscape of rolling desert scenery and star-studded night skies untouched by city lights. We’ll watch the sun rise from one of the tallest sand dunes in the world and see desert elephants roam around Namibia’s highest mountain. We’ll get to many of our destinations by car, but there will be plenty of chances to walk amongst the scenery and try other activities, like sandboarding and quad biking across the sand dunes. You’ll never forget sights of classic African wildlife such as zebra, wildebeest, giraffes and lions!
There are all sorts of activity holidays you can go on abroad with Exodus. Whether your thing is trekking, canoeing, skiing or cycling, you can find trips with the activity focus you want. A lot of our holidays roll several activities into one so that you get a great, all-round experience. Will you zip-line through a jungle, trek a mountain range, or try out some snorkelling?
We also have a great selection of mixed-activity family-friendly holidays with opportunities to explore at an appropriate ability level (see each individual package to get an idea of the minimum age appropriate for the trip).
How are the activities graded?
You’ll notice we’ve given each of our activity trips a “leisurely”, “moderate” or “challenging” rating. This is to give you a good idea of what to expect from your holidays so that you don’t turn up and find it’s too much or too little for your taste. As a guideline, all trips require a certain level of good health and enjoyment of the outdoors. You can read more to find out how our grading system works in full detail.
We’ve also put together some handy guides to help you prepare for your activity holidays and make sure your fitness is up to scratch before you go. These complement our activity grading system and we recommend you take a look.
What age groups are suitable for your activity holidays?
This depends on which holiday you’re looking at. If you’re bringing the whole family, including children, you may want to look at our family activity holidays specifically.
At the other end of the spectrum, we have challenging hikes for experienced walkers aged 16 and above, such as our Everest Base Camp treks. Most of our cycling holidays are also 16+.
If in doubt, simply consult the age recommended at the top of the page of the holiday you’ve got your eye on!
What do I need to wear for an activity holiday?
This has a lot to do with the activities you expect to participate in and the climate. As a rule, sturdy walking shoes that you’ve broken in are an essential. If you’re going on a winter holiday or something that involves boating, you should consult the overview tab to see if any additional equipment is provided by us, or if you need to bring it yourself.
Please be aware that even if you’re going on an activity holiday abroad to a region that generally has a warm climate, your adventure may take you to higher altitudes where the temperature can drop or where colder nights might be common. Wherever you go, it’s always wise to bring layers!
Are flights and accommodation included?
Accommodation is generally included when you book one of our trips. If you want your flights to be included as well, all you need to do is tick the box for this option before you check out.
To see further details about what’s included and what’s not, please refer to the overview tab on the trip you want to book.
Are the trips guided?
We offer a mix of guided and self-guided trips. Some people love to travel in groups and others prefer to go at their own pace, so we’ve taken this into account and designed amazing activity holidays for every type of traveller.
If you’re eying up a specific holiday, it should indicate whether the trip is guided or self-guided in the “Ways to Travel” field at the top of the page. Some holidays also offer the option to travel in a private group with people you know only.
What are the groups like?
If you choose to travel as part of one of our guided groups, you’ll probably find it’s a mix of solo travellers, couples and friends. This can be a really enriching experience; in fact, it sometimes results in travellers making new life-long friends who they plan future trips with!
Why book your activity holiday with Exodus?
The best guides in the business. Awarded GOLD by Wanderlust
I had a great trip, despite unfortunately not being able to visit Panama due to the ongoing protests. We had 5 days in Nicaragua and 10 day in Costa Rica, every day was different and the wildlife was out of this world. The first week was very busy, cycling a lot with many hills, the second week was a lot more relaxed but still with cycling and activities. We went on 2 crocodile safaris which were great fun as well as some free time in La Fortuna, which came at a great time after a hard weeks cycling. Our Leader, Guilermo (Memo) was great, he had a wicked sense of humour as well as being a great cyclist, i unfortunately wasn’t as fast but enjoyed it all the same!
Alexandria to Abuu Simbel.: Egypt from top to bottom! This trip packed so much into 11 days, yet it never felt rushed. The archaeological sites are awe-inspiring, in terms of their size, antiquity and elaborate carvings and wall paintings. No amount of looking at photos will prepare you for what you see in person.
We had a wonderful trip to Ecuador. The itinerary is well planned with a wide variety of experiences. Our guide, Etiel, was excellent and very knowledgeable and organised. The hotels were very good. Some of the walks were quite challenging but well worth the effort. The scenery is spectacular! With a great group of people, an excellent guide and driver, and a great mix of activities, it is one of the best Exodus tours we have ever been on.