The Lost City of Choquequirao

My wife Denise and I walked the Inca Trail last year and enjoyed it so much that this year we have decided on this much more ambitious trek. We are excited and a bit daunted at the same time! This time we bring along my son Jason and Denise's daughter Mercedes. We have just been walking in the Lake District, which is like a mini-Andes minus the altitude, but better practise than nothing!  

ewright

My husband John and I are doing this trek departure July 12th. My dad sent me an email recently with photos of Peru showing treacherous paths and windy roads and I felt sick! We were supposed to be camping and walking this Bank Holiday week-end but we cancelled due to the weather forecast. We have done lots of trekking overseas before. I am not confident with technical walks and was advised this trek is not technical just long and with high altitude so fingers crossed we can cope with this. Emma 

jbaker1

Our thoughts were the same. We are not into technical climbs etc. so wanted to understand what was involved. We wondered what Exodus meant classifying the Inca Trail as 'moderate' but the Choquequirao trek as 'challenging severe'. It seems Choquequirao is like two Inca Trails back-to-back with a bit more altitude and steeper descents and ascents. It still seems to be a trek, although a very challenging trek, with no technical climbing involved. After all, it was once an Inca Trail so pack animals must have negotiated it, I guess!  

ewright

I wondered if you are taking malaria tablets? These are not recommended on the trip notes and not by my GP. However a couple of books, Lonely Planet and another recommend malaria tablets for this particular trek. What are your thoughts? Exodus just say to check with a GP.

Stefan

Hi, everybody! I'll be going 12/07 ; can't wait and getting quite worried at the same time - I guess ( hope ) just like everybody else! Regarding Malaria, I just take a treatment course with me. So if I am stuck somewhere and can't get a quick test, I can start the treatment. Exposure on this trip should be fairly limited, so standard precautions will be more important.

jbaker1

It seems that malaria is confined to the Amazon basin and the eastern side of the Andes, below 1500-2000 metres. Since we will be starting fairly high up and then heading west (i.e. over the mountainsa and away from the Amazon) it seems that the risk of malaria is minimal. We will just be taking precautions like long sleeves at night etc. Last year we visited the Amazon and took Malarone. When we got to the camp, they said 'Oh! malaria is a further 8 hours downstream!'

The trek gets more daunting the closer it gets. I don't think anyone should underestimate the challenge. Last year (when we did the Inca Trail) we found the biggest thing was being out of breath, something you can't train for in the UK...but this did work a bit in our favour: we were so slow! I called it 'the Inca plod'!   

Stefan

Hi, there! how is everybody holding up? Can't wait - only a week to go1

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments
Call us on 0208 772 3936