Travellers to Borneo

For anyone who is going on the trails of Borneo trip in September and for anyone else who can offer tips and advice!

Please get in touch

Abbie

[email protected]

spark

Hi Abbie,

Haven't travelled to Borneo with Exodus but have done another trip which looks pretty similar and visited a lot of the same places in 2005. I'm jealous that you're going soon as I would love to go back one day. A few points of note I remember:

Mt Kinabalu - no technical terrain apart from a wee bit of scrambling at the end. What is worth bearing in mind that whilst 4100m isn't exactly a giant in global terms you climb it in a 24hr period which does not give the body a great deal of time to acclimatise. I think the park entrance is about 1500m so 2600m or so of ascent in a 24hr period followed by an immediate descent of 2600m is a tough shift by just about anyones standards. I remember it being beautiful and dramatic but gruelling. My legs ached enormously afterwards!

Photos - the Orangutans at Sepilok could not possibly be more photogenic if they tried and the Kinabatangan river gives you a real wildnerness jungle feel which is amazing to get pictures of - particularly if you get the opportunity for a sunset cruise on the river. Fantastic. Speaking of sunsets , about every night provided a great opportunity to get a perfect view and some good photos to boot.

Humidity - its constantly bloody sticky so take a lot of light clothes and avoid cotton t-shirts or jeans like the plague. Insects - didn't get as bothered by mozzies as I thought I would but copious amounts of insect repellant probably saw to that.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. I'll try to email you some photos to give you a flavour. Enjoy!

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments
Call us on 020 8772 3936