Travellers to Borneo

spark

Hi Abbie,

Haven't travelled to Borneo with Exodus but have done another trip which looks pretty similar and visited a lot of the same places in 2005. I'm jealous that you're going soon as I would love to go back one day. A few points of note I remember:

Mt Kinabalu - no technical terrain apart from a wee bit of scrambling at the end. What is worth bearing in mind that whilst 4100m isn't exactly a giant in global terms you climb it in a 24hr period which does not give the body a great deal of time to acclimatise. I think the park entrance is about 1500m so 2600m or so of ascent in a 24hr period followed by an immediate descent of 2600m is a tough shift by just about anyones standards. I remember it being beautiful and dramatic but gruelling. My legs ached enormously afterwards!

Photos - the Orangutans at Sepilok could not possibly be more photogenic if they tried and the Kinabatangan river gives you a real wildnerness jungle feel which is amazing to get pictures of - particularly if you get the opportunity for a sunset cruise on the river. Fantastic. Speaking of sunsets , about every night provided a great opportunity to get a perfect view and some good photos to boot.

Humidity - its constantly bloody sticky so take a lot of light clothes and avoid cotton t-shirts or jeans like the plague. Insects - didn't get as bothered by mozzies as I thought I would but copious amounts of insect repellant probably saw to that.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. I'll try to email you some photos to give you a flavour. Enjoy!

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments

My Forum Activity

You have not posted anything in the forum yet.

Please create a topic or reply to a topic to see your forum activity.

Call us on 0208 772 3936