Anyone else out there heading for Base Camp Everest, departing on 18th April
Alan and Angela
Hi Alan and Angela,
I have recently booked for this trip, having never done anything like this before I am on the lookout for any hints and tips. If you know of anything not on the kit list that you think I might need, please let me know. Cheers.
See you in a few weeks,
Apologies, we haven't replied sooner. The kit list given in the notes is good, so there's not really anything to add. The one thing I learned from a trek I did a few years ago was that I took too much clothing. Can't do that this time with the weight limit though. That's our dilemma. How much clothing? Sure it will be alright on the night. Look forward to seeing you soon.
Alan and Angela
Everest trek. Am looking forward to this, but should confess now... I have done it before but not in April. Hoping to see rhododendrons etc so shall be taking pictures all the time. Was surprised to find how relaxed the pace was, good for acclimatisation. The area itself was very enjoyable. For me it was not just about the achievement of getting to Base Camp. I bought all sorts of useful clothing in Namche ..fantastic bargains. Underclothes are not so available and you cannot count on washing anything! There were plenty of good trekking maps in Kathmandu for £2 -£3
My name is Rich, I signed up recently for the Base camp trip. I've likewise not done anything like this before but am ridiculously exxcited now. I just wondered if anyone had any advice about whether or not it was worth getting a prescription for Diamox for altitude sickness? I wasn't planning on it but was hoping that someone with some experience could advise. Look forward to meeting you soon!
Diamox? I did not take it, though I know some people who developed headaches at Gorak Shep took it for one day.
Hi Everybody, only 9 days to go!!!!!! My doctor prescribed diamox, but will only really use this in an emergency as the side affects can cause quite bad headaches, so you won't know if you have ms or bad side affects.....I did read in a forum and further investigated that gingko biloba which is all herbal, is very good for "blood flow to the brain and circulation to the extremities of the body" so we have been taking that. To be honest having been at high altitude before it is just luck how it affects you, best thing is just to be as fit and healthy as you can be before the trip begins. Exciting!!! Angela
I see from the update that we are to assume we are departing London as scheduled. Fingers crossed. We have the added connecting flight from Glasgow but are contemplating driving down to Heathrow. What arrangements, if any do you guys have? Hope to see you all in London.
I'm supposed to be flying from Newcastle to Heathrow. Also thinking about driving. I'm still not sure about what happens if the Heathrow flight is cancelled?? It's not like we can turn up to Kathmandu a few days late. Fingers crossed.
My feeling is that we will be expected to be at Heathrow for the "official" trek departure. Our domestic flights could be caught up in delays/ cancellations and in the meantime the flight to Delhi/ Kathmandu is offski.. If we are dalayed at Heathrow, I believe there is leeway due to the first day being sightseeing once out there. If the flight is cancelled, like you, I don't know. Fingers and toes crossed.... I will post my mobile no later and we, and hopefully others could catch up at the airport.
Hoping for the best. It is worth keeping in touch on this forum as far as poss. Will be waiting for that call from Exodus 10am onwards tomorrow. Otherwise it seems to be a case of 'don't call us we will call you'
Sorry to hear people have got such long journeys to get to LHR
Exodus rang me just now to say assume it goes ahead unless or until I hear otherwise. All fairly obvious I suppose! At least they did ring. Seems people stranded abroad are a big problem for them.
Yeh, I had that call too from yesterday. Just waiting now for the "after midday" call. Don't think they will be able to tell us much tho'.
Yes, am following NATS site and Jetairways plus met office. All looks so unlikely but Jetair flight has status 'on time' which I suppose is the real holdup.
I see on the Jetairways site the status of 9W121 now reads ''cancelled'', so await confirmation from Exodus. Hope not to be spending the day at Heathrow Terminal 4 ( it was T3 last time I flew with them!)
Morning Susan and Everyone else
Yes all our flights have been cancelled too, including the Glasgow to Heathrow shuttle, awaiting Exodus to call. I'm being very optimistic that if the ash isn't a problem they might do a double trip on the 28th, other than that it will be October now. We have raised money for charity so will have to come up with a plan B!! Angela & Alan
Hi A&A and all
Just had that call from Exodus, from Joanna Z. Now I just have to decide on alternative trip or refund and restock the larder! Have other commitments in next few weeks/months and did Base Camp in Sept/Oct last year.
Sorry we couldn't meet you all for a great trip. We off to do the West Highland Way. Start Wed (For those who don't know;This is a 95 mile long distance walk from Glasgow to Fort William) this will take us 6 days. A small consolation for Nepal, but will be equally as beautiful. We hope that this will satisfy all our generous donators. Pictures will follow. If anyone wants to meet us, or walk with us along the way feel free to contact us :-) Bertie (our wee dog) is coming too!!!
Privacy & Cookies | Customer Charter | Site map | Contact us
©2014 Exodus Travels Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
All holidays and flights are subject to availability - conditions apply. Please see our booking conditions for details.