mt blanc highlights

Hi,2 guys from n.ireland going to the mount blanc highlights.This is our first time with exodus and would like to contact anyone else who is going on this trip.We have only started walking this year so hopefully we can keep up with you guys!

Lynnarmstrong

Hi guys,

I am also going on the same trip as you on 11/07/09, this is also my first trip with Exodus - and I'm going on my own which I have also never done before, but I very much looking foward to it.

You won't need to worrry about keeping up with me, I have also just started walking and don't intend doing much more until the weather gets better. I read on one of the reviews that getting fit even by running on the jogging machine might help - so I've just try to go to the gym semi-regularly!

I also need to start working on adding to my walking clothing etc. the list is quite long so its a good excuse for a girl to shopping!!

matchie

Hi Lynn,it`s good to hear that someone else is going on the trip.At the minute there is just the three of us.We are taking the land only option as is would be impossible to get to london city airport on time as we are from n.ireland.
We will be flying to Geneva the day before and then meeting the group at the airport on saturday.
What way are you flying?
Ps.as this is our first time also we havn`t a clue what to bring,is is to be hot in July but they say it can get cooler in the hills,as long as I have my walking shoes and a pair of shorts I should be ok.Brian.

Lynnarmstrong

Hi Brian,

I am also glad other people are going, when I booked it I don't think anyone else was on the trip so at least now I know i'm not going to be going it alone!

I have booked a flight from Edinburgh direct to Geneva, the flight gets in at 9am so I am hoping that I will be able to meet up with group - if not, i'll need to get a train to Chamonix then make my way to the Chalet. I don't know what time the London flight gets in yet as when I booked it the London flights weren't confirmed but at the time it was about 10am.

Think your right about the weather, hopefully shorts and walking boots will be required more than the waterproofs! The trip looks great and i'm testing out this year to see how I like it, I would really like to do a longer trip but have decided to ease myself in gently. Is this your first walking holiday? My only concern is that I am not used to doing quite so much walking for so many days in a row, I hope my legs can handle it!

Lynn

matchie

This is our first time on a walking holiday,we have only walked once over 7 hrs and that was last summer when we got lost on the mourn mountains!

As far as I gathered from the trip notes the flight should be arriving in at 10.30 so you should have plenty of time.
I enquired about how many should be going and they said it should be full or almost full as it is a very popular trip.
On the photo I posted I am the one holding the dog and ross is the one on the left,not exactly walking material!

see you soon.

brian.

Lynnarmstrong

At least this time there will be an instructor, so hopefully no getting lost!

Thats good about the London flight, hopefully I will make it to meet the group as that would be a lot easier than having to make my own way.

Its hard to see the photo, but at least its an outdoor one, I should dig one out and upload it so you know if you see me wandering around aimlessly at Geneva Airport.

I had also heard that the trip gets fully booked, which is why I booked early. No matter how many people are on it i'm looking forward to the walks (hopefully without too much rain)!
Look forward to meeting you both
Lynn

matchie

Hi Lynn,sorry about photos they are soo small you cant make them out.Check out polypipe 2008 ramblers on you tube there is also more of us there fooling about on the mountains if you want a laugh.
We will be at the airport early so we hopefully will meet up with others like yourself comming in that morning.
brian.

tonymccawley

Hi all, Anna and myself are flying from luton on the sturday arrive in geneva at 0915, staying a couple of days after the trip, not sure what we're doing yet. fly back on the monday night. Its our first time with exedous, but have been with other companies., there is a mini bus service called the cham express for 25 euro each way. Tony McCawley

matchie

Thanks for replying Tony,look forward to seeing you guys on the holiday.brian

russell wright

hi,Me and my partner are going to the mount blanc highlights. This is our first time with exodus and can't wait to go. My partner does lots of walking , I have only just started trying to get fit before we go though need to lose some weight. Flying from Heathrow as dropping our daughter of at the same time meeting everybody at Geneva airport think we have an hours wait for eveybody else to get in. Does anybody know what the weather will be like in July?

Lynnarmstrong

Hi folks, Tony, thanks for the information on getting to Chamonix - I am hoping that I will be able to meet up with the group, although my flight gets in 15 minutes before the group flight so I just hope no delays.

Russell, glad to hear there is another novice walker!!  As for the weather, I think its supposed to be pretty warm but once you get higher up there can be risk of rain showers and cooler weather - I think packing a fleece might be in order for the higher days but I am ever hopeful that the sun will be shining!

Good to hear the trip is fully booked, I had heard it was a popular one so now glad i've booked early.  Look forward to meeting you all on the trip.  Lynn

I went on this trip in the same week of last year. Judging by my experience, I would definitely advise packing a cag every day as some of the walks get quite high (partly thanks to driving or taking a cable car to a highish start point) and showers or walking through rain-filled clouds is always possible. I wouldn't bother about gaiters, leggings or waterproof trousers - shorts should be fine, as long as you have suntan lotion, which you will need anyway for your face.

I wouldn't worry about being novice walkers. As long as you are half-fit and have decent footwear, you should experience few problems. The trails are well-trodden and the trip tends to attract what I would call non-serious walkers who take a fancy to the Mont Blanc name. Incidentally, shops near the chalet have good Mont Blanc Tour t-shirts!

tonymccawley

Tony McCawley

russell wright

Hi, Could any body tell me the distances we shall be walking each day? I'm glad we will only need shorts as i was going to get myself some walking trousers that zip off into shorts, i'll just get shorts now. Is it advisable to wear walking boots as my partners was hoping to wear walking sandals.  

I think you'll find walking trainers are OK, ie trainer-style shoes with some ankle support, but I'm fairly sure sandals will be seriously frowned upon. The trails are well-marked but there are stones to climb over and some tricky rough patches. I wore boots every day but that was partly out of habit and partly becaue I didn't want to mess up my trainers (trail will be seriously muddy in bits)

tonymccawley

Hiya, yeah i would tend to agree, even walking sandals won't offer the best support. I only wear boots when i go walking.But heah its your choice at the end of the day! Tony McCawley

russell wright

HI EVERY ONE RUSS AND PARTNER DAWN,LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING EVERYONE,DOING A BIT MORE WALKING EVEN GOT MY PUSHBIKE OUT TO SEE IF THAT HELPS ME GET FITTER?.WE WILL BE LANDING IN GENEVER ABOUT 09.20 SO WILL HAVE ABOUT AN HOUR TO WAIT, HOPING THERE IS A COFFE SHOP NEAR BY AT THE AIRPORT WE CAN MEET UP IN WHILE WE WAIT FOR THE LONDON CITY FLIGHT TO ARRIVE.

matchie

We will be arriving the night before so will be at the airport early,hope to meet up with other people going on the trip.As far as I`ve gathered the walks will be averaging between 6/9 miles with the shorter ones being more steeper.See you all soon.brian

russell wright

Thanks Brian for the distances, hopefully we can meet up at the airport as we wait for the others to arrive.

matchie

Just to let everyone know the pick up details at the airport.

This is from the exodus rep.

DIV { MARGIN:0px;} DIV P { MARGIN: 0px }

The group will be arriving through the Swiss side of the airport. Their flight lands at 10.30am so if you get to the airport for this time, you'll see our local representative either wearing a black exodus t-shirt or holding an exodus sign (or bothbrian

tonymccawley

Hi All, Anna and myself are now on the transfer from the airport. We fly in at 0915 ish from luton with easy jet. Meet you all at the airport.  Tony 

tonymccawley

Well i've spent the morning getting my kit ready, sorting out insurance. Getting excited. See you all in Geneva.

Tony and Anna 

tonymccawley

Hi everyone - Anna here, Tony's partner - just curious if anyone else is worried about not having done enough training for next week? I have had every intention but work has occupied too much time and the time has now run out.... Am worried I will hold people back but very much looking forward to the views and meeting everyone. Maybe the need for rest will just give opportunity for photos?!. 

matchie

Hi,I wouldn`t worry about being at the back as I damaged my knee last week on the mourne walking festival so am hoping the pace is not too fast.

We will be at the airport early to meet up with others as we will be staying in geneva overnight.

See you all soon.brian

Lynnarmstrong

Hi there, Anna, I haven't as much training as I would have like to - I have not had much chance to get out on the hills so semi regular visits to the gym and local walks have been the best I have been able to do.  I won't mind the pace being slow, I want to take in and enjoy the stunning scenery and as you say hopefully get lots of good photos.

I've already started packing too and i'm really looking forward to it.  Hopefully I will be able to meet up with everyone at the airport.  See you all soon.

Lynn

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments
Call us on 0208 772 3936