- Camel trek in the Sahara
- Visit Kasbahs Ait Benhaddou and Taourirt
- Get involved with Tijhza Village project
- Snake charmers and slipper makers in Marrakech
Take an impressive journey through the beautiful palm groves of the Draa Valley before arriving at the amazing Sahara Desert for our first highlight - a camel safari ride, some wonderful nomad hospitality and camping under the desert stars. We then visit the magnificent Kasbah Ait Benhaddou - the perfect backdrop to many Hollywood films including Gladiator.
We have a day helping the habitants of the remote village of Tijhza, nestled in the High Atlas Mountains. After spending the night at our comfortable eco-lodge with the friendly Berbers, we assist with a variety of community activities.
Our final treat is the colourful souks, palaces and mosques of Marrakech, which comes alive at night with snake charmers, travelling musicians, acrobats and storytellers.
What makes this trip responsible?
Recycling is not fully established in some parts of Morocco so during out time in the desert, we ensure to take all rubbish with us. In the mountains, children are learning the importance of keeping their environment clean for the benefit of their crops and take part in regular cleanups of the area. Kasbah Oliver has been instrumental to Exodus' support of Tijhza Village and they are creating an example for the village on renewable sources, such as solar panels.
Morocco Community project
Whilst staying at the gite in the mountains there is the opportunity to meet the villagers and learn what Exodus has achieved over ten years of supporting the village as one of our Responsible Tourism projects. With a new water pipeline system fitted in the village, every house can now enjoy running water and our funds have also stretched to paying for much-needed operations for some of the children. Our biggest achievement is the village hammam (Moroccan steam bath) that will help with important hygiene issues as well as creating a self-sustainable income. Our support is also shared with other remote communities including Tafedna, located near Essaouira.
- visit the village Hammam and help create a sustainable income for Tijhza;
- send your leftover dirhams into Amanda Ceraolo at the Exodus office;
- donate online via our website;
- join a volunteer departure (Trip code: AMO) led by project founder,Andy McKee;
- bring items with you to leave in the village (see our project page for advice). Please ensure that anything you bring is not passed directly to the children.
Want to see more?
Maroc - Vallzée du Draa