Jebel Sahro and Draa Valley - depart 9th Feb

Hi. I will shortly be deciding how and when to travel to the airport from the West Milands for this trip - anyone care to share travel arrangements?

Catherine

Bexter

Hi

I have heard from someone who has been on this tour that it is really tough ... does anyone know how tough - I am not an experienced off roader, and am worried about breaking my neck!!

Bexter

Hi

Thanks for the reply. That has helped a bit. I am really looking forward to the trip and it sounds great - otherwise I would not have booked it! But am just bit worried that I will be stuck at the back of the group, surrounded by super fit off-roaders, really struggling, with lots of cuts and bruises and broken limbs! That's not much of a holiday! Do I need to get special cycling shoes, or will normal tough walking shoes be okay?

Cheers

bexter

kfinlay

Hi Bexter

I am the trip manager for the Jebel Sahro and the Draa Valley cycling trip so hopefully I can give you some useful information on the trip.

If you are fit there is no reason why you could not cope with this tour, I would put more emphasis on fitness than technical experience or abilities. This trip is an excellent introduction to off roading and a good trip to build up your confidence. The whole trip is on vehicle width tracks which sometimes can be stoney but non technical, there are some portions of single track, but these are all optional and there is an easier alternative. The trip offers approx 90% vehicle support so if you are finding it tough at any point there is the option to jump in the Landrover. There is one big climb in the middle of the week followed by a fast steep descent whcih should probably only be attempted by those with more technical experience, but there is a more gentle meandering descent for those who are unsure. The leader on this tour at the moment has excellent experience and will be able to assess each member of the group and advise accordingly. The trip is designed to increase in difficulty through the week so you can gradually build confidence.

I hope this answers your questions, don't worry about breaking your neck!!

cholland

Hi Bexter

I am always worried about being stuck at the back! Sometimes I am! I have done a few trips before, and I like off road, but I am certainly not a "super fit" off roader. Any stiff bottom shoes should do. I dont recommend sandles.....as it is described as stoney.

Bexter

Well, you won't be on your own this time! I am a full-time office worker, and a single mum of twins, so no time to do anything really. I cycle 7 miles into work and back once or twice a week, and go to a gym and swim at lunchtime... but that's it, so am not particularly fit either. Oh well, I can always sit in the truck! It'll be a break...! Are you super fit? What other cycle trips have you done? Have they been fairly easygoing?

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments
Call us on 0208 772 3936