Alaska

Hi,

I was just wondering who might be joining us on this holiday?

If you've already done this trip with exodus, it would be great to hear your tips!

Thanks

Becky

lesleyc

Hi Becky, I am coming too! Am trying to book flights as joining via Toronto.  Alaska looks amazing. But I hear mosquitos can be v bad.  Anyone out there have any advice?  Lesley

cmr600

Hi Becky (and Leslie),

Faye and I are just setting off on a two month trip that will get there for the Alaska Hike. We start in Seattle on Sunday and make our way through British Columbia and Southern Alaska to Anchorage for the 23rd August.

Also heard about the mosquito's just bringing the Deet and a head net!

Looking forward to it!

Chris & Faye 

Beci

Hope you have a great trip Chris and Faye. I was in Seattle in May... Look forward to hearing all about it on 23rd!

Hope you manage to find your flights Lesley,

look forward to meeting you all soon

Becky and Marc

Ash_P

Evening all,

I'm joining the alaska trip on the 23rd from Boston so I look forward to meeting you all there! I'll be around from early afternoon at the hotel and just looking around Anchorage on the saturday, so if anyone else will be there early it'd be great to hear from you.

Have a safe trip to Alaska!

Ash 

Hello, Becky and others

We did the trip before yours and I did earlier promise Becky some feedback.  If you like mountains, glaciers and wildlife you will love this trip.  We saw several bears including cubs as well as moose and caribou, wolves and the delightful sea otters and marmots.  Do have a look at the enormous fish landed at Valdez and Seward.  A positive aspect was that we had no problem with mosquitos.  This seems to be because Alaska is having an unusually cold and wet summer, which is not such good news.  We had quite a lot of rain, though mostly while we were travelling in the minibus and daytime temperatures were generally 50 to 60 F.  It wasn't cold camping overnight though.  So bring some good waterproofs including waterproof trousers and many layers including long sleeves to keep warm or to take off if it warms up.  Forget the swimming togs - the water is freezing.

For the hike to the Harding Icefield (which all 10 of our party managed) you will need good stiff boots or instep crampons as there is still a lot of snow with some on steep slopes.  The wildlife cruise at Seward was really good and, although the 6 hour one is really for whale watching, we saw humpback whales on the 3 hour cruise.  It was too rough for the 6 hour trip.  The high spot for us were the few days in McCarthy which really is the back of beyond.

Your leader will be Bill who is a great camp cook serving up cakes and puddings and a stream of pancakes for breakfast (two of our party managed 6 each).  Don't expect to come back slimmer!  With Bill we had Jake who is another superb cook, but he is heading back to California and you will have a chap called Brian who we've not met, but comes well recommended by Bill.  And do try the crab on the last evening in Anchorage.  It is amazing.

We hope you all have a good time.  And now to get rid of that jet lag.

Ian and Helen Wright 

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments
Call us on 0208 772 3936