Inca Trail & Amazon Rainforest - 18/10/08 - TPJ842

Hi,

Anyone out there going on this trip. Would love to chat before hand.... 

fantasia

Hi there steph,

sorry for not replying earlier, i was on the wrong trip - virtually speaking!

Myself & good lady are going on TPJ842 & have no idea what we are doing, but we're really looking forward to the journey. 

I'm really worried about what to take & am currently scouring the forums for information.

Tim

kellis

Hi guys,

Myself and OH also going on this trip.  Starting to get our gear together as I write - so much to think about.....  Very excited about the holiday, but slightly nervous about some of the reviews read on this site about how the trek is harder than the moderate rating leads you to believe. 

Are you flying on the KLM flight from Heathrow via Amsterdam?

Katherine.

claphamr

Hi there,

I'll be joining you all. Can't wait to get going now!

It seems a few of you are couples? I'm heading out on my own - are there any other single travellers out there?

Rich

fantasia

hello again,

We fly out from Manchester to Amsterdam.

have any of you got your exodus bags yet?

and the next question - to poncho or not?

Hi,

We are also on this trip - Michelle & Peter. We're travelling from Manchester.

Regarding malaria tablets, they are advised for the jungle part of the trip. the recommended one is Chloroquil & Proguanil  which you can buy over the counter. The only downside of this is that it's a 7 week course which seems a little excessive for 3 days. We've got a prescription for Malarone - you only need 12 tablets; you take them 2 days before going, while you're there and 7 days after. They cost approx £2.40 per tablet but I think a 12 day course is preferable to 7 weeks. Hope this helps.

kellis

Regarding the antimalarials, we have also gone for the malarone option.  They are more expensive, but we have taken them before so know that we have no problems with it.  Chloroquine and proguanil seemed like such a faff and the risk of non-compliance cos you have to take them for so long is high.

Seems that a few of you on the Manchester flight - We're flying from London, but I guess we'll all be on the same Amsterdam-Lima flight.

Just got back from Ellis Brigham - armed with our Exodus discount vouchers.  Spent a fortune, but hopefully most of the stuff we got we'll use again in one way or another.

fantasia

Exodus discount vouchers ?

please tell me more!

kellis

We got 10 per cent discount vouchers for Ellis Brigham when Exodus sent us our trip notes (way back when). Didn't you?  Very useful given the amount we just spent!

fantasia

I probably missed the vouchers - too late now anyway!

Packing tomorrow, staying in manchester friday - see you guys some time saturday!

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments

My Forum Activity

You have not posted anything in the forum yet.

Please create a topic or reply to a topic to see your forum activity.

Latest Forum Topics

Call us on 0208 772 3936