safari - camera support

i have just come back from kenyan safari and while on a game drive - i noticed a photographer with alarge 500/600mm lense/camera setup on a open top landrover - with a support.

can anybody give advice of where/what this could be - it looks like a wimberley?, but it was fixed to landrover bar support

jeffa

paulgoldstein

Wimberley Heads are cumbersome, expensive and tiresome to carry around. If a large, heavy bean bag will not suffice, although they are very good when taking portraits, I would suggest the following: You can buy a Manfrotto 035 Super Clamp, this will only cost about £20.00, you can then attach the head of your tripod onto this, it works best if it is a ball head. I use this always at Kicheche and it is fantastic for panning, unless the cheetah runs the other side of the vehicle. It is only necessary for 400 2.8, 500 or 600 leanses, anything else and it would be better hand holding. This acts superbly together as the clamp sits on the bar on the top of the vehicle and it means you are working with something you are familiar with. Just check that the vehicle you are using for your safari has roof hatches and a bar along the edge of the roof, I hope this helps

jeffa

many thanks for your help, i am now looking into this and hopefully will solve my problems, again many thanks for your guideance

jeffa

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments
Call us on 0208 772 3936