Trails of Borneo

Hi All

just received my final joining instructions saying that I'm one of 14 in the group. It would be good to make contact and compare notes with anyone out there who's also on this trip

Trev 

anya

Hi Trev,

my name is Anja and I will join you on this trip. I am getting slightly nervous, as the departure date comes closer every day. I am flying to London the day before departure. I am living in Malaga. I have also received my final instructions and I am glad to have my first contact.  I hope some other members of this trip are going to use this forum.

We will meet soon, hasta entonces

Saludos anja 

anya

Hi Trev,

my name is Anja and I will join you on this trip. I am getting slightly nervous, as the departure date comes closer every day. I am flying to London the day before departure. I am living in Malaga. I have also received my final instructions and I am glad to have my first contact.  I hope some other members of this trip are going to use this forum.

We will meet soon, hasta entonces

Saludos anja 

Hi Anja

good to hear from you, I was beginning to think I was the only one on the trip. I'll be driving down to London from Birmingham, not as exotic as Malaga!

I'm getting slightly nervous too, this will be my 4th trip with Exodus but I'm not sure what to expect. I've been frightening myself reading about the Pinnacles, sounds exciting.

Hope to hear from anyone else on the trip, look forward to meeting up with you

Saludos!

Trev 

Hi Trev,

I went on this trip last year at around the same time you're going. We had a fantastic time & I'm sure you will too. If you've got any questions about it, just ask. I hope you get Henry as the tour guide, he was great fun.

Ian

Hi Ian

thanks for the offer, I'm sure I've got lots of questions! How did you find the Pinnacles and the Kinabalu climb? Doesn't seem as though there's much time to acclimatise to the altitude, I did Base Camp last year and Kili the year before so I'm hoping it will be ok. Was it very cold on Kinabalu? Not sure what warm clothes to take.

How many leeches did you get?!

Trev 

ElizabethD

Richard and I are also booked on this trip.

Has anyone had any success in finding a kit list for this trip?   The nearest I managed was from a different trip organiser.  Having only done European trips before a kit list would have been useful. 

Also, does anyone know if the water is drinkable or whether we will have to take purification tablets or bottled water is available?

Liz

Hi Liz

did you get the 'Travel Advice' brochure when you booked? It's not specific for this trip but it's got a general 'what to pack' section which helps a bit. I'm pretty sure that bottled water will be available but I think it's worth taking water purification tablets. The Rough Guide recommends iodine rather than chlorine, you can get it as drops or tablets. I used it in Nepal last year and it doesn't taste as horrible as it sounds if you use the neutralising tablets with it.

Hope this helps

Trev 

I'm sure you'll all have a fantastic trip. To answer all the questions ... The Pinnacles is a tough hike but well worth it. Because you're hiking in the jungle at low level, its hot & VERY humid. You need to take plenty of water! It's not long in distance but it's very steep & takes most of the day, and 2/3 of the way up it turns into an adventure playground for adults! - climbing ladders, pulling yourself up on ropes, etc - which are there to make it easier. It's a little like scrambling in the Lake District, so you don't need any technical skills. On our trip 10 out of 12 made it to the top! Kinabalu is completely different - not humid but at altitude. If you've been to base camp, you'll have no problem. Again its steep but the altitude only really kicks in at the end. As you go up the last bit at night, its relativley cold - a few degrees above zero but the hiking keeps you warm. We were very lucky with our weather as it was dry & clear, but it can get very wet which makes it a lot harder. Near the top there's a rope on the floor to guide you if its misty! Again its not a technical climb & 10 out of 12 made it to the top for sunrise. You won't be alone as lots of people do it. On the whole trip, for water, you can't drink the local stuff but there's plenty of bottled water available. At camp 5 (Pinnacles hike) they boil water when your stash runs out. So none of us ever used any chemical treatments. I hope this all helps - the main thing is to just go & enjoy it - it was one of the best trips I've ever been on!

Cheers, Ian

Rosian

Hi there . We are also preparing for the Borneo trip. Having a bottle of wine and thinking of the jungle. That's about our preparations so far. Rosamond is taking this as an early retirement present for herself and I'm (Ian) coming along to make sure she climbs the pinnacles and THE mountain.  Glad of information from the ex Borneo hand (ian) and looking forward to meeeting the rest of the team. We are going out a litttle earlier (ie 7th Oct) to Kuching to acclimatise ourselves and will meet up in Miri.

Hi there, check out my thread in the Arrivals Gate forum for more advice on this trip and a link to a good packing list for the tropics. I managed fine on top of Kinabalu with thermal baselayers, micro-fleece, warm hat, gloves and packable windproof jacket. I was actually a bit hot on the way down to the hut when the sun came up. Although it was not a particularly cold night and was not windy at all.

Cheers

Jon

Rich_Pollard

Hi,

I've just returned from the Sept trip and wanted to say that it was possibly the best holiday of my life, I'm envious of you guys that are about to experience it as I want to back there now instead of back at work! The only disappointment we had was that we didn't get to attempt the Pinnacles as there was a huge rainstorm at 5am on the morning of the ascent and we were not allowed to attempt it.

Kinabalu was harder than I thought it would be but as said before if you are reasonably fit you should be ok. I wore a base layer, technical fleece and a windproof jacket and over-trousers and was perfectly warm enough, but it was pretty chilly on the summit and we didn't hang around for long!

I would also like to mention the MESCOT Eco-lodge, 'lodge' is not accurate, I would just warn you not to expect much luxuries, the guy there called it an eco-camp and that is more realistic. You really are spending a couple of nights in the jungle, amazing experience but very hot and humid and quite a lot of bugs!

Our group experienced lots of leeches but they're not really a problem, a couple of people had invested in some leech socks before they went but they don't stop them getting up your shirt! :o)

Hope you all have as good a trip as I did!

Rich

anya

Hi all,

thank you all for that useful information. I am still quite nervous, but I think this is beaucse I travel the first time on my own. Is there any chance to meet someone at Heathrow Airport, before we check-in? Would be nice to have a contact before the great adventure begins.

Anja

ElizabethD

Anja

Where did you have in mind for meeting? 

Liz

anya

Hi Liz,

Thanks for you quick response

I have never travelled from Heathrow, normally I arrive at Gatwick Airport. I imagine the easiest would be close to the check-in desk of Malaysian Airlines. What do you think?

Anja

Hi Anja and Liz

I usually arrive at the airport too early and finish up hanging around for ages, it might be worth checking in and going through security to avoid the queues then meeting up at one of the coffee shops on the other side. It's hard to spot people amongst the crowds but the ones on Exodus trips are normally wearing walking boots!

Trev 

anya

Hi Trev and Liz,

normally I arrive early as well.  Good idea to meet somewhere after check-in. I will wear my walking boots and a green jacket. Looking forward to meet you. I am sure we will have good fun.

See you on Saturday

Adios

Anja

ElizabethD

Anja & Trev

I was also thinking that it would be better to meet airside.  We should be there early but it is dependent on M25!  We shall also be in one of the coffee/ breakfast areas wearing walking boots and carrying day sacks.  I'll make sure my Exodus label is visible when we have found somewhere to sit.  see you both on Saturday

Liz

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments

My Forum Activity

You have not posted anything in the forum yet.

Please create a topic or reply to a topic to see your forum activity.

Call us on 0208 772 3936