kili rongai route and zanzibar

anyone going on the trip departing 6th September??

LizB

Hi - yes, booked it a few weeks ago.  Really looking forward to it but am a bit concerned about how much training I should be doing?  I went to Nepal, Annapurna Sanctuary last year with Exodus and was fine but I haven't done any specific altitude training, just general fitness and aerobic training - how about you?

matt___

I think that's the one I'm on - fly out on the 4th?

I've not done anything more than a bit of fitnesss and aerobic training, but have started running ith weights in a back pack - rather than unladen. I'm quite worried about the altitude bit though as I live near Cambridge at about 1m above sea level!

Caroline_P

Hi all,

I'm booked on the 6th Sept trip. I've just been going to the gym and trying to improve my general level of fitness and getting a bit of strength in those pins. If Chris Moyles can get up there.....

C

KILIKEV

Hello matey peeps, just paid the final balance and can't wait to go!! Training on beer and kebabs so should fly up the mountain on wind power! Looking forward to meeting everyione at Gatwick for a pre flight pint.

Cheers

Kev

vbuchanan

I havent done any specific training, just tried to get fitter, mainly running. I'm also trying to get in as much walking as I to break in my relatively new boots!

I had a look at the altitude training from the link that was posted here, and I feel as though I should really do that, but it is another £200 on top of everything else I've had to pay for, so I'm not sure about it yet.

KILIKEV

Good general fitness, walking up lots of hills and plenty of aerobics should do the trick (or so I'm told). Unfortunately, altitude sickness can strike down the fittest of people. The best thing is to just not worry about it. If you have to come down early, that's more days on the beach :-) Is there anyone travelling from the Midlands area?

vbuchanan

was just wondering what size day pack everyone's taking? I went to get my duvet jacket last weekend, and the bag they recommended seemed really big, but I wasnt sure it was really necessary...any ideas?

V.

KILIKEV

Hi V. I would take a 30 to 40 litre rucksack as a day pack. Enough to carry water and snacks plus waterproofs. Small items like suncream and medication. The main stuff will be carried by the porters (I hope). Have you bought a massive duvet jacket? I was thinking of a fairly thin one (North Face) to go under my walking jacket so I get the warmth of the duvet and the water resistance of the jacket.

KILIKEV

HI V. Make sure you've got good waterproofs, Down jackets are a nightmare if they get wet. I bought a Berghaus Mera Peak Walking Jacket in 2006 and it's been brilliant. Might treat myself to a new one for Kili or just take the old one (see how the finances go). New boots arriving today so will wear them in over the next 6 weeks. Can't wait to get there, it's gonna be great!!!

KILIKEV

Hi Jane, reckon it could be -20 at the top! If it gets too cold I'll make a hole in my sleeping bag to stick my head through and walk up in that lol. I agree with not carrying too much stuff though, so I'm going for thin base layer, thin down jacket and a good waterproof waliking coat, hat, scarf, gloves etc. New boots have just arrived and I'm wearing them right now in the office! See you soon. Kev

JaneN

What a good idea!!

Actually, I really like the idea of taking the sleeping bag up to the top! Maybe I could keep warm huffing and puffing up there and then get inside the bag once we are on the top to stay warm! Maybe take a stove as well to brew up a cuppa on the summit..... and perhaps a few custard creams! mmm!

KILIKEV

:-)  Ha Ha.....I like your style....mine's white with no sugar please.

Kev

KILIKEV

Hi Matt, check your details because they don't seem to match the one's for this trip. Your earlier message said flying out on the 4th but we are departing on the 6th and your trip code is TYW where as this one is TYZ

KILIKEV

Hi Jane, i read somewhere that about 80 dollars from each of us shared out amongst the porters and cooks is what's expected. I may be wrong but I'll do some research. Apparently it's best to split it into individual envelopes to hand out personally rather than trust the head porter to distribute it. I think the main guide gets more than the rest and so on down the pecking order. After some trips a gift to your favourite porter, usually an item of clothing (even sweaty socks) is usually gratefully received mmmmm..........

Cheers Kev :-)   7 weeks to go! 

KILIKEV

Hi Allison, don't wear yourself out before you get there! I'm really looking forward to this trip, can't wait to meet everyone and constantly checking this page for new arrivals. Watched the Red Nose Day Kili Climb on You Tube last night, it's awsome. See you at the Airport!

JaneN

Thanks for that Kev, That's about the amount that I was thinking so I will enter that into my increasingly long debit column!! I hope we have somebody numerate with us who can work out what to give to who and in what proportions!! Not so much with the sums myself....  I have a feeling that many things might be happily off loaded onto the porters after a week of trekking!! I wondered if there is a school locally to Marangu as I know that they always desperately need pens and exercise books and I might bring some with if there is. I, too, am ridiculously over-excited and I am counting down the days my calendar with a big marker pen!  

Hi Allison!! Welcome to the departure lounge!   

Jane

KILIKEV

Hi again Jane. Tips: Porter 5 dollars a day. Assistant Guide 7. Main Guide 10.  Or....10% of the cost of the trek. Apparently, no matter what you give them, they will moan, tut, shake their heads and roll their eyes skywards. Some will even cry (depending on their acting skills) But no matter what.......hold your resolve, and when they realise you won't part with a penny more they'll be all smiles with lots of handshakes and pats on the back!!

Cheers,   Kev :-)   :-)     :-)     :-)

AllyJA

Thanks Kev, that's good to know.    Hi Jane :~) 

Does anyone have advice on Malaria tablets.  I was thinking of taking Malarone?  Has anyone had any experiance of taken it before?  

Allison

vbuchanan

The travel clinic i went to recommended Malarone as it's supposed to be the most effective for that area. Haven't taken it before, but seemed to have a shorter list of side effects than the others.

V.

KILIKEV

Hi ally, same as V. My Doctor said to use Malarone as it's supposed to be the most effective. Never used it before so have no experience of it.

JaneN

Yep! Malarone for me too. I have taken it several times and have never had any problems at all with it - I think it's the best way to go!

I have just bought a fleecy balaclava which makes me look rather sinister and like a bank robber! I am still dithering around the whole down jacket issue - has anyone seen any good sales or offers anywhere on these?

Jane   

KILIKEV

Ayup Jane, Kev ere from oop north. I've gone for the North Face Down Jacket. £80 from Castle Mountain & Moor here in Nottingham (where Robin Hood lived). Not too bulky so fits nicely under my walking coat. Rather than the Yorkshire Ripper look, I've bought a sort of circular scarf thingymajig that goes round your neck and can be pulled up over your nose. With sunglasses and a daft hat I should look like a retro style muppet.

How's the weather where you are? It's terrible here!!  Cheers for now. Kev :-)

LizB

Hi there - everyone seems to be training like mad - I've currently got a chest infection so it's hampering things a bit but as someone else said if chris moyles can make it....  Anyway I'm off to buy a down jacket today, I've done loads of shopping around and I'm going for the Rab one - the hood and fitted style sold it to me (unfortunately not the price!).  Do we also need to take thermarests or do they provide them?  This kit list is getting longer by the day..I am getting really excited by it though.  Does anyone else advocate taking aspirin to help with the altitude or is that a load of rubbish?

JaneN

Hi Liz,

That sounds pretty rotten for you - it's not swine flu is it? I hope that you get better soon - but remember that the people who acclimatise to altitude best are generally smokers and asthmatics!! I think we have to take our own thermarests from looking at the list and, what with my industrial strength sleeping bag and all the other bits and bobs, I am thinking I have only enough room left for a couple of T-shirts and some toothpaste! I am looking at the Rab smocks too, they look like they might fit under a waterproof if needed - I do wish we could have a relaible weather forecast for the climb!!!!! 

I, too, am out of action for a couple of days as I had a twelve mile fight with some new boots on the South Downs yesterday and the boots won convincingly! Boots:2, Jane:0 - I have blisters the size of eggs and I am thinking my old faithful boots will be coming to Kili!!

Hi Kev!

Weather here yesterday was glorious but we are back to drizzle this morning! Bah! Still, since I can't get any shoes on today at least I have another excuse to stay in.

Jane

KILIKEV

Hi Liz, sorry to hear about your chest infection, hope it clears up quickly. Probably best that you got it now and not a few days before the trip. I'm sure you have to take your own thermarest, they're not usually provided. I was told to wear my walking boots on the flight over to save space in my baggage, makes sense, what about you?

Hi Jane, have you popped those blisters?! I've worn my new boots all day every day for the last 2 weeks at work and they're really comfy. I know that's not the same as doing a big uphill hike but I'm confident they'll be okay on the trip. I'll be taking Blisteze though, just in case! 5 weeks tomorrow!!!!! Wey Hey :-)

LizB

Hi Kev - I went to Annapurna last year and they told me the same but I ignored the advice and packed them - I couldn't imagine anything worse than flying in a pair of heavy duty boots with swollen hot sweaty feet!!! I've bought a 4 season thermarest yesterday which on a trial of 5 minutes seemed quite comfy!  My first aid kit is getting pretty full now with all sorts of plasters, pills and lotions.  Is everyone else taking water sterlisation tablets too?

vbuchanan

heavens, i hadnt even thought about a thermarest (i assume you mean those blow up matress thingies? i had to google it to know what it was!!!). People have advised me to take water sterilisation tablets, but i havent looked into that yet...i think it's time i made a to do list for this trip!!

KILIKEV

Hi Liz, Hi V. My boots take up so much room I think I'll have to wear them on the plane! Already bought the sterilisation tablets and don't forget the the hand cleaning gel! Have you sorted out your visas yet, sending off for mine today and booking the Yellow Fever Jab (gulp). Just found my thermarest under a load of camping equipment so I'm just about good to go. Might get sandals and shorts for Zanzibar and plenty of sun cream. Keep in touch! :-) Kev

JaneN

Hi everyone!

V, they have thermarests on ebay quite cheap at the moment. I have the women's prolite 4 which I have found really good - cuts the cold and it actually packs down pretty small.

I think I shall wear my boots on the plane but take my flip-flops with me in hand luggage so I don't have to sleep in boots!! If my check in luggage got lost I can't imagine trying to do the trip with hired boots! 

Kev, I am slowly recovering from my blisters but I am giving the old boots some TLC! Compeed at the ready. I can't believe that it's only five weeks and we will be in Tanzania -I am getting really excited now and looking forward to meeting everyone!

Jane  

vbuchanan

thanks Jane, i'll have a look on ebay. Kev - did you send your form and passport direct to the embassy or did you use the company recommended by Exodus?

KILIKEV

Hi V. Direct to the embassy.......it's a lot cheaper that way!

JaneN

Goodness, everyone is being very organised! I was going to get one at the airport on arrival but I guess I should get one now or I will be keeping everyone waiting whilst I am in the visa queue!!

LaraJayne

you just get it upon arrival..much easier.

anyone going on Rongai & zan leaving UK 20th?

KILIKEV

Hi Jane, I'm sure none of us will mind if we have to wait for you, by then we'll all be chilled out and excited about the climb. I just like to have as much sorted before the trip cos I get flustered when I have to do paperwork the other end. In fact, look out for me at Heathrow, I'll be the one wandering around aimlessly not knowing where the check in desk is or where to find passport control or for that matter the aeroplane!!! HELP!!

Cheers,  Kev. :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)  Keep on smiling

JaneN

Thanks Kev! But if I get time I will drop my passport in for a visa in person - Embassy consular section is not too far away.  

KILIKEV

Hi Jane and everyone. Have any of you checked out the Arrivals Gate on this site and read some of the messages from people who have already done this trip? Can't wait to get stuck in now, the weeks seem to be flying by!!

Cheers,  Kev :-)

JaneN

Hi Kev and everybody!

After reading the arrivals as suggested I am off for a big shopping trip today - and expect the plastic will get a right spanking! I am looking forward to this but I am getting quite nervous as I have had an enforced week of no exercise and I am still confined to flip flops!! I note that everyone was really stressing on their feed-back how cold it is - Merino wool and down all round I guess! Is anyone taking gaiters - I wondered if we might need them for the first days and the snow day? Anyone know?

Jane  

vbuchanan

Hi Jane,

i decided after doing a 30 mile walk last weekend in the pouring rain that i will take every sort of waterproof going! it also tested my waterproof jacket to within an inch of its life! i have been lent some gaiters and waterproof trousers so i'll take them as well just in case as i wouldnt want to have soggy clothes! apparently gaiters are also useful for the first day when you want to wear shorts because it's so hot, but it gives your legs a bit more protection from stuff on the ground.

i am also a bit concerned about the temperature as i really feel the cold and am a real wimp about it! i think i'm going to have to take a lot more layers than i had planned! not sure how i'm going to get everything there with the baggage allowance!

let us know how you get on with your shopping trip and if there were any bargains to be had! i saw on the Cotswold clothing website they had some offers on merino wool long sleeve tops and some leggings.

V.

KILIKEV

Oh my head...what a weekend! Alcohol is definitely not good for you! I'm teetotal from now until Kili. I think I've spent enough on all the gear now for the trip, just hope I can carry it all! So far we have V...Liz...Caroline...Jane...Ally...Matt...Tony and me. That's eight of us. There is one space left out of the twelve available, that leaves three people we don't know about....who are you? :-)

vbuchanan

is there one space left Kev? I didnt think there were any

KILIKEV

Hi V, I checked the site a couple of days ago and there was one space left for our trip. When I originally booked I was told I was the last one which was a real shame because one of my mates wanted to go. Now there is a space he can't get the time off. 4 weeks to go...! :-)

JaneN

Hi V,

For reasons unknown I have been locked out of the departure lounge for a few days, Back in now tho'! The shopping trip went pretty well and I have only a few bits left to buy. Allison and I went together and she was a real shopping demon - felt a bit inadequate next to her expert plastic wielding!! We met a really helpful guy in Ellis Brigham who did our trek last year - same route and time of year and everything! He stressed how cold the last couple of days at the top were, but also cheered me up by saying not to worry about trying to get waterproofs over down jackets but to layer them up underneath - I hadn't though of that and I was worrying about it. I, too, am not so much with the cold!! He said that rain was more likely lower down. He also said to get v good gloves! I managed lots of sales and, although I already have some cheapy half gaiters, I think I might get some new Goretex ones anyway after what you said. Cotswold had some good bargains but v unhelpful staff!! Kathmandu have a good sale on and quite a bit off their Merino stuff - Mountain Warehouse  also good at present and have offers on their technical wicking T-Shirts and baselayers.

I have now NikWaxed my old boots and put in new footbeds and laces - it may be their swansong but I don't want to risk having to go down for blisters - how annoying would that be?! Particularly since I managed to get trainers back on for the first time today.

Hi everyone else! I too wonder who our mysterious other "friends we have yet to meet" are? I was thinking that maybe at some stage we should arrange a place and time to meet at the airport for a coffee or something before we fly - I expect we will all be checking in at different times and coming from different places so it might be nice to meet before we arrive in Tanzania- anyone else up for that?

Hope everyone is getting as excited as I am now and enjoying the preparations!

Jane 

vbuchanan

sounds like you did well Jane! will have to check out the other shops. whereabouts in the country are you? I tend to just go  to Cotswold because it's close by, but might have to actually venture into London to seek out more bargains. which gloves did you get?

meeting up beforehand sounds like a good idea, am up for that.

V.

KILIKEV

Hi Jane and everyone, glad your feet are better and sounds like you've got lots of new goodies too! Meeting up is a brilliant idea, what's the chance of trying it before check in so we get seated together on the plane? Or are our seats pre-booked anyway? It'll take me approx 4 hours to drive to Heathrow from Nottingham and I aim to be there for about 5pm. I checked the site again yesterday and there is still a space left on this trip, I wonder if someone will grab it last minute!! Cheers for now. Kev :-)

Caroline_P

I am trying to stay off the alcohol but i think cutting down between now and Sept 6th is the best I can hope for. I have been all over ebay for kit and managed to get some good deals. I got a brand new Trespass down jacket off ebay for £34 which should do the job near the summit!

KILIKEV

Hi Everyone, had a 12.30 appointment at my local surgery today to pick up prescription for malaria tablets. Got there at 12.20 but wasn't called through until 1.10. A very apologetic nurse explained that as all the doctors had gone for lunch she could only give me a standard prescription as opposed to a private one...24 tablets for £7.20 instead of £80.......RESULT. To share my good fortune, the drinks are on me at Heathrow!! :-) :-) Also received final joining instructions from Exodus. Now I'm really getting excited! Just one more thing, does anyone know if Matt is actually on our trip? His trip code and date was different to ours on his earlier message. If he's not, that means there is a fourth mystery traveller!! TTFN  Kev

vbuchanan

Kev you are so jammy!! have you had your visa back yet?

cant remember if anyone has covered this already, but what are people doing about sterilising the water? the nurse gave me a leaflet about some water bottle thingy with a filter that she said was good, but not sure.

also, i checked with exodus and we definitely have to bring sleeping mats ourselves.

V.

AllyJA

Hi All, 

Cotswold also have sale items online (that are not in store). I have also found some bargins on Amazon!

Am getting very very excited!!! My stomach does a little backflip whenever i think about it :~)))

Meeting up at the airport sounds like a good idea.  I will be standing under the clock wearing a red carnation, carrying a copy of the times ;-).

Allison

KILIKEV

Hi V, I'm still smiling about the malaria tablets :-) I'm taking sterilisation tablets for the water as recommended by several people. I also have a really good Katadyn water filter thingy that I used on a weeks wild camping in the lake district in 2005. We literally took all our water for cooking, drinking and washing from streams along the route, and had no problems at all. I wasn't going to take it to Kili as it's just another item to carry but I will if any of you guys want me to. Hi Ally, meeting up...we're supposed to look for a rep with an Exodus sign once we've cleared customs at Heathrow so hopefully we'll all be herded together in one spot. Big red carnation sounds good though!! Is anyone taking a pillow?  Cheers. Kev :-)

KILIKEV

Hi again V. I'm expecting my visa to arrive early next week. Yellow Fever Jab booked in for Monday 17th and I'm supposed to present my passport. The surgery said I'd still get the jab but would have to return with the passport to fill all the details in on the certificate. Cheers again. Kev :-)

Add new comment

Login or register to post comments

My Forum Activity

You have not posted anything in the forum yet.

Please create a topic or reply to a topic to see your forum activity.

Latest Forum Topics

Call us on 0208 772 3936